Ishapore Enfields Exploding?

Hammy

I was thinking about buying an Ishapore Enfield chambered for 308 until someone who deals in guns told me that these things will explode in a short period of time. The reason being that the 7.62 Nato round was 25% less powerful than the commercial loads and the headspace increases after only a few rounds of commercial 308. Is anyone familiar with this problem?

I have an Ishipore, I haven't heard anything about them exploding. Mine hasn't blown up yet, but I haven't shot it alot. When it explodes I'll be sure to have my next-of-kin post it on this board.

I have to wonder what he planned to sell you instead. The only problem I have heard of with the "Ishies" is a tendency to break extractor springs. Some commercial loads are slightly more powerful (higher pressure) than NATO standard, but not to the extent of blowing up any rifles. Of course, I shoot military ammo in mine, mostly because it is a lot cheaper than commercial.

Jim

There was a rumor that the headspacing was bad on those ishapore, I know cause I owned a few when they first came in and a partner bought one when i bought the first one and we test fired em in the sand pit and checked the brass...his was bad, mine wasnt, he never tried another,,,,i bought two more,no problems...fubsy.

Jim Keenan,

Do you have any feeding/extraction problems with your 7.62Nato Enfield?

[This message has been edited by 6forsure (edited February 26, 2000).]

I would like to reinforce the idea of having military surplus rifles checked for head space before shooting them. Either go to a gunsmith or invest in a set of guages yourself if you like rifles in a certin caliber.
Early this month, I bought a Carl Gustaf M96 Swedish Mauser (1908), mostly because it had a pretty nice fiddle back figure in the stock and was all matching, of course. It failed to pass the No Go test with my Clymer gauge, though it did stop on the Field Gauge. It probably would not have blown a case, but is too far gone to be a shooter of mine.
Who knows, perhaps the bolt is still in the process of setting back for some reason. I might shoot a lot of rounds through it, think it is fine and them have it blow up in my face. For this reason, I distrust the idea of just firing an old rifle with as string as a substitute for having it gauged. Perhaps I am a worrier.
Most of these rifles are still good, but not all of them.

Hammy,

Sounds like you were being set-up for the old bait and switch. I bet he had a nice customized Model 70 or some such to try to sell you next...

The misconception of most people is that, if it was made in India then it must be substandard... Uh, no... The alloy they used is much stronger than the alloy that the Ishapore factory made Enfields for Great Britain since the 1880's. The Rifle Factory Ishapore was turned over to the trained Indian staff when India gained their independence in the late 40's complete with all equipment intact. So if someone degrades a 2A1, they are degrading the entire Enfield concept in my opinion. The quality of the rifles is better than Fazakerley and Lithgow from what I have seen... Ignorance seems pretty common at gun shops anymore.

I have a 1967 2A1 that shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yards... not bad for a $100 "substandard Indian rifle".

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

02 cents:
If my memory serves, the European, to include the 303, chamber pressures are in the 40,000's and the 308 is around 54,000 psi. This is one reason I shy away from Euporean, even military, guns in 308, because of the difference in chamber pressures.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited February 27, 2000).]

Harley,

I have seen pressure ratings for .303 British from 46,500 to 51,000. .308 is 50,000-55,000 according to my handloading manual.

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Hi, 6forsure,

No problems at all in around 500 rounds. Further, with good ammo, it shoots under 3" at 100 yards with open sights.

I understood, though, that those rifles were built primarily for police use, and were not intended for to withstand the extensive firing a military rifle would be subjected to. I have not heard of anyone firing a 5 or 10 thousand round endurance test. I think they will be fine for average use, hunting and normal target shooting.

Jim

Back