Is Tomcat a Pocket Gun?

pwd

I've been contemplating a Beretta Tomcat for concealed pocket carry, but was concerned about its size. How easily will it fit into front pocket of a pair of Dockers? Thanks...

If you have a large (physical) frame and large pockets, its arguably a pocket gun.

Be warned, however, that pocket carry can be a problem: when walking, when sitting, when driving, etc., it makes some guns very difficult to access. And if you're seriously thinking of pocket carry, don't be cheap: get a pocket holster.

Be warned further, however, that a lot of folks have had big problems with Tomcats. (I had two of them before I gave up in disgust.) Most of the problems seemed to be associated with the first models out of the factory (the first year or two of production), and they may have fixed the problems.

Mine were very accurate, but very unreliable. They kept breaking firing pins (even though I rigorously used snap caps). Others had bigger problems, such as cracked frames. If you hold your hand just wrong, too, you can accidentally bump the barrel release lever and the barrel pops up and very inappropriate times. You'll find it hard to get a trigger job, too -- as the gun is so small that most gunsmiths will only work on one, and then refuse to work on others. (Too much work for what they can charge.)

A far better pocket gun (or .32 acp) would be the Kel-Tec P32. It is MUCH smaller and lighter than the Tomcat, yet has less felt recoil. (It fires from a locked breech, rather than using blow-back design.)

The Tomcat is only slightly smaller (0ne inch shorter), slight wider, and 3 ozs lighter than the Kel-Tec P-11, and it holds 10 rounds (plus one in the chamber) of 9mm.

Back