Is this Taurus G3c Really New?

tlbaxter

Inactive
Hello,

I have a new G3c that I have never fired. I noticed a couple things that look like wear & tear issues and I have attached a couple pictures. The first is inside the barrel. Notice it looks like rust. Is that fouling? I tried cleaning it but it would not come out. The second item is what seems to be obvious wear on the slide near the ejection port. The finish is worn off.

I know Taurus fires a few test rounds before shipping the guns. Is this the kind wear I should expect from a few test rounds?

The gun came neatly packaged with the obligatory sticker on the trigger guard. Everything looked right...but what about these pictures?

Thanks.

Attachments

• barrel 1.jpg
    barrel 1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 161
  • slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I would consider that to be a used gun. Did you buy it from a dealer that said it was new or from an individual? However, I am not sure if I would consider getting it replaced.

What did you use to clean the bore?

The coloration in the barrel doesn’t look like rust to me. It may be leftover from whatever treatment Taurus does to their barrels. The marks on the slide near the ejection port could happen from a number of firings for testing. Is it through the metal? I mean no offense but a Taurus isn’t a particularly high dollar firearm. I’m not sure how durable the finish is normally. I know we do have Taurus owners here so hopefully they will sound off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you use to clean the bore?

The coloration in the barrel doesn’t look like rust to me. It may be leftover from whatever treatment Taurus does to their barrels. The marks on the slide near the ejection port could happen from a number of firings for testing. Is it through the metal? I mean no offense but a Taurus isn’t a particularly high dollar firearm. I’m not sure how durable the finish is normally. I know we do have Taurus owners here so hopefully they will sound off.

I used Hoppe's 9 to clear the bore.

I think the markings are on the slide, not a wearing away of the finish.

I have a Taurus G3 (also purchased new) and it does not have these problems.

I'm wondering if the markings in the barrel are copper build up, but I don't believe Taurus fires that many rounds through it in testing to cause copper build up. I am starting to think I was sold a used gun as a new gun.

I understand your thoughts, but I’m not sure how you’d absolutely prove it one way or the other.

Hello,

I have a new G3c that I have never fired. I noticed a couple things that look like wear & tear issues and I have attached a couple pictures. The first is inside the barrel. Notice it looks like rust. Is that fouling? I tried cleaning it but it would not come out. The second item is what seems to be obvious wear on the slide near the ejection port. The finish is worn off.

I know Taurus fires a few test rounds before shipping the guns. Is this the kind wear I should expect from a few test rounds?

The gun came neatly packaged with the obligatory sticker on the trigger guard. Everything looked right...but what about these pictures?

Thanks.

I would look for scuffing on the barrel, on top of the barrel towards the front of the gun, and on top of the barrel hood.

I would look for scuffing on the barrel, on top of the barrel towards the front of the gun, and on top of the barrel hood.

Yeah, google Glock barrel smiley, you're looking for metal impressions / burnishing in certain spots on the barrel. On the slide, look at the area around where the firing pin would protrude, a circle would be worn out of the finish as the back of rounds slide up into battery. Look for wear marks on the slide stop pin (if it has one), on the rails, and around/inside the muzzle with the barrel removed to see normal finish wear. Be aware that the more you reciprocate the action through, the more you are adding your own wear.

I once bought a pistol and I stored the included cleaning brush in the case. It scooted around and left little snail trails on the finish of the slide with whatever galvinizing was around the brush handle. It rubbed off later. Could it be the included lock or brush or something else loose inside the case?

My impression of Taurus is, if the mark doesn't bother you or it comes out, if the pistol seems reliable after a few hundred rounds, that's something to be pretty happy about.

It's not rust.

Your barrel hood is going to be the only indication of more than test firing.

Your picture isn't clear if it's chatter marks from machine, missed coating, or something else.

If truly bought new, I would email Taurus on the slide picture.

You can contact Taurus but be ready for a long wait go hear back. I sent one in that broke the very first time I used it and it took six months to get my gun back from them. Their customer service is the definition of bad service. They do make a lot of guns and most are really good. But if you need help from them you will have a very long wait and no communication with them either.

In all fairness I have used Smith and Wesson’s customer service before also. They are the very opposite. Super friendly, super fast and great communication. Got my gun back in three days. That is why I have so many Smith and Wesson guns and only two Taurus guns.

It doesn't take much the scratch a finish. That's kind of odd looking for that though. You try cleaning it off?
Looks like preservative in the barrel to me too. Rusting wouldn't stop abruptly like that. Take the barrel out and drop it in a container of regular solvent and leave it for a couple hours. Then clean it as per normal. Again.
Doubt it's a warrantee issue, but call 'em anyway. Assuming they're even open due to Covid. Their customer service is known to be poor though.

Can't just look at the two picture, open the gun, look for other signs. I went on youtube and watch the disassembly of your gun, I would look at wearing of the rail slides shown in the picture. You see the rails are a little discolored from slide running on those rails.

If your rails look new, I doubt the other marks are from firing rounds.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Taurus.jpg
    Taurus.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 437
Go back to the dealer and ask them.

Is gun buy and sell different from other products that you can return and they just put back on the shelf? I don't think it's as simple, it's more like cars that you register upon sales, that there are records. Will the dealer try to cheap just a little bit selling a used gun as new? Look at the receipt whether it specified it's new. I don't know whether it's that easy to return a gun like you don't like how it shoots!!!

I don't know, just a question.

I never bought a used gun, I never have any question all my guns are new.

Back