Is this spotting scope any good?

Futo Inu

Found in shotgun news:

"Made in Russia by Sibir Optics....Thi 20-50x50mm scope utilizes a lens and mirror system, "Newtonian Reflection", that is smaller and more efficient than most roof prism scopes. Up to 87% of all incoming light is transferred to the user's eye. Multi-coated lenses produce clear, bright images with minimal distortion.......Compared to lesser units of the same price, this is an exceptional investment....$79.99"

So, good scope, or you get what you pay for?

Futo, I have one of these that I paid $49 from Gary Olens about 5 years ago. I have used it mostly at 100 yds. with no problem. I have tried it at 200 yds. and found it to be marginal at this distance. Others have said that the higher the power the less clear it gets. IMO, worth the money.

Joefo

I have the similar model, but it only goes from 20X to 30X. I bought it at the recommendation of my dealer, as he sold a ton of them to shooters at a local 200-yard range.

Maybe they tried to squeeze too much performance out of the 50X unit, but we have found that 20-30X model works great out to 200 yards, even with 223 rifles.

Good luck & tight groups!

[This message has been edited by Lefty (edited May 16, 2000).]

Fotu,
Check out the Sportsmans guide online catalog.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com

Do a search for spotting scopes there, and you'll find it.

They have the exact same scope (20-50x50mm) for $54.97 (scope only). Thinking about getting one myself. Good luck!

Nathan

Thanks, all! I went ahead and got it. Sounded good for my purposes (mostly 100 yards), and I didn't have hundreds to spend.

Back