Is this safe to do?

J.T.King

I just read about this method of lightening the factory trigger pull on single action Rugers.

poor boy trigger job

Is this safe? What are the long term ramifications of lifting off one of the trigger springs? Will it make the single trigger spring more prone to failure?

JT

I don't see where it would hurt anything. Looks like the part about pushing the hammer forward couldn't possibly do harm. The second step about scooting the spring over could easily be undone. I would, however, hold off on snipping the spring mentioned in step three. That is just me though.

I haven't tried it, but Jeff is pretty sharp if he hasn't had any problems with it I'd give it a shot. Also as PreserveFreedom said it can't hurt anything and since it's not a permanent modification you can always put it back if you don't like the results.

I agree with PF that putting pressure on the hammer should do no harm. All it is doing is wearing in the hammer and sear and the same thing can be accomplished in a bit more time by dry firing (or, at more expense, by live firing).

All unhooking one leg of the trigger spring accomplishes is to reduce the tension, which could be good. Problem is that I doubt Ruger put in that much extra tension just for fun. I think I would thoroughly test that modification under various safety conditions before recommending the process. (Could it perhaps, allow the gun to fire if dropped in the wrong way?)

Jim

I followed Jeff's direction on my Ruger SBH and the result seems to be as great as the trigger jobs on my other 2 Ruger SAs that were done by a really good gunsmith. I don't know about the safety thing except that I've learned to trust Jeff's advice, and applying some amount of force to the cocked hammer, at least on my "poor man's trigger job," doesn't budge it. Dennis

I am thinking that since that spring also returns the trigger and deactivates the transfer bar, if the gun is dropped when cocked, the sear might release due to the lightened spring, and that same spring might now not have enough force to make the gun safe in time.

I admit I don't know that, and I don't feel like dropping a perfectly good gun on concrete to find out, but it is the sort of thing Ruger will have done repeatedly. That sort of thing is why I think they probably had a good reason for making the spring the way it is. It is also the sort of thing amateur gunsmiths, and many professionals, do not think about when they play with trigger pulls and spring kits.

I do remember a fellow who lightened the trigger spring (and that is all) on a slide action shotgun (I think it was a Mossberg, but am not sure at this remove). The gun fired when it slipped out of his grasp and the butt hit the floor. Fortunately no injuries, but one astonished "gunsmith".

Jim

Gentlemen,
Thanks for your interest in the article. This is my first time to visit the Firing Line. I can assure you that the procedure is safe, and the spring can be returned to it's normal position if needed. As Ruger does with all their parts, the trigger return spring is overbuilt, and much stronger than necessary. The procedure in no way weakens the spring. I have done this to my New Model Blackhawks for over 20 years, with no adverse affects. It simply results in a better trigger pull. The gun cannot fire unless the trigger is held to the rear. I do not advocate ever making a gun unsafe. This simple process works, is free, and totally reversable. You get a smoother, lighter, safe, and easier to use firearm, without any outlay of cash. Try it....you'll like it. And thanks for reading gunblast.com. Your comments and emails are always welcome.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com

Welcome Jeff,
I tried your 'poor boy trigger job' on my new model Blackhawk tonight. What an amazing difference releasing the tension on one "leg" of the trigger return spring makes. I can hardly wait to get out and shoot it again!

I know that the Wolff spring kits for SA Rugers include a weaker trigger return spring. I wonder just how much weaker the Wolff version of this same concept is?

In any case, the amount of spring pressure needed to lower the Ruger transfer bar to a safe position seems to be VERY low.

Nothing about this procedures strikes me as dangerous.

Good to see you around here Jeff! Loved the review of the new Bird's-head Vaquero. You might mention that Belt Mountain has a new "Sheriff's model" oversize base pin with the same sort of "short head" Ruger is shipping on this new gun. Other than that, it's the same as other Belt Mountain pins.

Back