Is this normal ?

Demonvomit

I was shooting with a friend that was also shooting a 625 like mine as he was looking my gun over he said that the serial# and the 625-4 did not match he said he bought his in 97 and he has the same first 4 digits in his serial # but his gun said 625-6 insted of 625-4 like mine.

So i called s&w and they told me that it should say 625-6 because the serial # shows the gun was made in 97.

A rep at s&w told me they must have mis stamped it and if so how do i tell if the 625-4 is right and it was made in 94 or the serial# is right and its made in 97?

Thanks

If there has been a mis-stamping I'm not sure there is a way to tell for sure which is correct.

My best guess would be a frame and crane assembly were started in 1994 (or whenever) and were correctly stamped 625-4, but the firearm was never completed. Excess inventory, ran out of barrels, sales slowed down, but for some reason it sat in the parts inventory for a couple of years.

Then in 1997 the gun was completed and correctly given it's serial number.

Maybe...

Joe

"Does anyone really care?"

Uh, well, yeah. Some people do.

Some of the S&W mis-stampings are actually quite sought after by collectors.

Some collectors deal in nothing except S&W misstamps, and are willing to pay a pretty penny for authentic factory boo-boos.

"Some of the S&W mis-stampings are actually quite sought after by collectors."

'tis true... Silliness knows no bounds. :D

Serial and dash numbers aside, twood be interesting to know if it was built to dash 4 or dash 6 configuration....or sumpin in between.

I just got a 696-3 replaced under warrenty.....replacement piece had frame stamped -3 but ser # and configuration appeared to be -5.

Sam

Jim Keenan
"As long as the gun works, does anyone really care?"

The only reason i asked is becaues i wanted to know when it was made in 97 or 94 I was just wondering :)

C.R.Sam
How do i tell if it was built to -4 or -6 configuration?

Back