Is this movie anti-hunting?

FirstFreedom

Almost bought a copy of a movie on VHS yesterday that looked interesting, for $6, but then stopped short of buying it when I read something in the description on the back that made me think it might be anti-hunting propoganda. I think it's called "The Hunted", and the description said that Benicio Del Toro's character starts targeting and murdering "game hunters" up in Canada or somewhere, and Tommy Lee Jones, who trained Del Toro in all his super secret assassin skills, is now assigned to get the rogue BG. Anyone seen it? Why was the guy killing big game hunter - did he get recruited by PETA or something? Is the movie anti-hunting propoganda? If so, I don't want to spend my money on it. I do have a vague memory of it being in the theatres a couple years back...

No

The movie has nothing to do with game hunting or anti-hunting. The hunters just happend to be in the woods where the BG, Del Torro is hiding out. By and by it becomes apparent that they aren't great hunters after all as Del Torro takes them out before they get him.

Personally I don't think it is a very good movie but for $6 to buy maybe it is worth it.

I never saw it, but it got a lot of discussion on bladeforums because it started the craze over Tom Browns "Tracker" survival knife. The basic story line seems to be a spec ops guy losing it and heading off to the woods by himself where he starts killing people with his tracker knife. The guy who taught him is the only one capable of stopping him becuase he knows his methods and what he will do, so he goes into the woods after him with his tracker knife.
I guess it might have some potential just as an action movie, but I wouldn't expect any great story line or anything. Doesn't seem to be anti hunting or anything like that.

There are indications in the movie that the "hunters" are there to find him (del-Toro)and take him out. I have the movie and enjoy it even though a couple of scenes do take a cheap shot at outdoorsmen. Tommy Lee Jones goes berzerk about leg-hold traps ( looked to me like a snare) and even follows a wild wolf to where it is snagged in a bush and he removes the trap. Bambi-esk garbage showed him going up to a wild wolf like he was saving a puppy. My 2 cents!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.......

That being said... it was a decent movie IMHO. There were some interesting scenes, but in general, the film had nothing to do with game-hunting. The film had a lot of symbolism, action, and blood (parents beware) :eek: . Overall, I think if you liked the fugitive, you would like this... check out yahoo movies and you can see the trailer/reviews/comments.

Neat movie, those weren't hunters, gets a little confused towards the end.

The wolf scene is there to illustrate Jones' abhorance of taking any life, which is a set up for him having to kill for the first time in the end.

Back