Is This Mosin Nagant Barrel Safe?

Captains1911

While degreasing and inspecting this Mosin Nagant, I discoverred this area on the outside of the barrel that at some point was ground down to remove corrosion. I didn't notice it a first because it was covered with some sort of black paint that was easily removed with acetone. It may be hard to see in the second photo, but there is defintely some material missing, and my concern is that it may be unsafe to fire. Otherwise I will just hit it with cold blue. Thanks for the help.

C7CAB5E6-785D-49CA-80B2-D10B37827B3B_zps7dx8zc3f.jpg

3B120BE1-DC16-474B-A8E0-C7936D3ACDB8_zpsxsac36zc.jpg

I shoot one that's worse, with a deeper crater. :)

What you do, as my attorney says, is up to you.
Denis

Mosin Nagants are dangerous. Millions of Russians were killed by them. :eek: And hundreds of thousands of other nationalities as well!

It the weakest link of the bore where heat and pressure will want to escape!
I wouldn't shoot it. If the rifle was not cared for to let it get to that point, who knows what condition the bore and action is?

It's actually not at all uncommon to find pitting & craters below the wood line.
Mine had the same paint covering that spot, undoubtedly done as part of a Soviet refurb after the war at some point, to prevent further corrosion.

The presence of external pitting is not necessarily an indication of a bad bore or action.
My cratered Mosin does have noticeably worn rifling, but it's also the most accurate Mosin I've ever fired.

Those rifles are a world unto themselves & you never know what you're getting till you've got it. :)
Denis

I've seen worse and they were good shooters.
Even if a pin hole eventually blew out the damage would be to the stock.
It would act like a gas block hole in a barrel.
That said - shoot at your own risk.

doesnt look terrible i mean its not on the chamber is it? its not like mosins are some crazy magnum round barrel still looks plenty thick.

In the second picture, it is evident that quite a bit of metal was ground off that area of the barrel in an unsuccessful attempt to remove the pitting.

I would span a straightedge across that valley to determine just how much was removed.

Thing is, we're still looking at deep pitting, even though what looks like a substantial amount of the barrel thickness having been ground away. It's not just the pitting- the barrel itself is much thinner and weaker in this area.

Safe? Above my pay grade to evaluate.

Back