Is this Mauser K98?

scottishpiper

You Mauser experts out there...I have this rifle with all sorts of markings but no apparent caliber/model marks. Do I have a K98 here?

Wallace

Attachments

• Maybe-Mauser-K98.jpg
    Maybe-Mauser-K98.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 681
Is this a Mauser K98?

I posted this same thread in Curios but there's only 2 people on it...

You Mauser experts out there...
I have this rifle with all sorts of markings but no apparent caliber/model marks.
It has the correct silhouette.
Do I have a K98 here?

Wallace

PS - Seems I can't attach the pic to this thread, so if you could hop over to Curios you will find it there
Thank you!

Last edited:
How about another photo of any of the markings on the top of the forward part of the receiver.
Describe the other markings such as on the bolt handle, bolt, bolt release, safety, barrel, etc.

Yes, you have a K98k. Receiver marking codes should tell you who the manufacturer is and what year it was made. Caliber should be 8X57mm.

I'm on it...

Unfortunately, this is all I have at the moment but I hope it helps!

Attachments

• Maybe-Mauser-K98-Otherside.jpg
    Maybe-Mauser-K98-Otherside.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 571
  • Maybe-Mauser-K98-Bolt.jpg
    Maybe-Mauser-K98-Bolt.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 525
  • Maybe-Mauser-K98-Butt.jpg
    Maybe-Mauser-K98-Butt.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 466
Well...

This is what it says:

Ceská zbrojovka a.s., Uherský Brod

I also posted a few more pics in Curios & Relics
I really appreciate your assistance!

Wallace

Well, that makes it a CZ, which could be a VZ33 or VZ34, or even a post-war model. K98s were sold to militaries around the world until the late 1950s when the US started surplusing the M1 rifles to anyone who wanted them.

If the crest on the front ring has a lion, it may be a Persian 98, very well made and very desirable.

Excellent. Great to know that I have access to experts here :cool:
I will do a little more research and get back to you.
Thank you very much!

Wallace

I don't think so. It looks like a Persian K98. They were pretty much all shiny like that.

Nope... Persia never had K98s. Also, the stock is waaaayyyy too glossy for an original factory stock finish, even for a Persian Mauser.

Last edited:
"CZ Arms de Peru"

Would that make it Persian?
I haven't verified the lion's head on the front ring.

Markings, Markings, Markings.....pics of the receiver ring and along the left will tell you exactly what you have. Until then its all just guessing.

In 1930 several hundred Czech Vz24 Mauser short rifles in 7.65x53mm were purchased from the Brno rifle works in Moravia. This was followed a few years later by the Modelo 1932 short rifle and carbine from the same source. The Modelo 1932 is a very special rifle. This Mauser uses the special small ring Model 98 pattern action as the Czech Treasury Police VZ33 Carbine and the German issued G33/40 Carbine employed by the Mountain Troops of the Wehrmact. It uses an upper band of a pattern designed to utilize the bayonet for the Modelo 1891. It is believed that Czech bayonets were made for this rifle, but it may be that the 5000 thousand rifles were destined for some police unit organization that was armed with the Modelo 1891 and had spare bayonets of this pattern on hand
So it appears you have a Peruvian Model 1932 in 7.65X53mm (7.65 Argentine).

I apologize for sort of piece-mealing this thread but I don't have ready access to the piece. I will be seeing her again in a couple of weeks. In the mean time, I actually managed to find a picture of the stamp on the receiver/chamber.

Attachments

• 12 - Mauser CZ Rcvr Stamp.jpg
    12 - Mauser CZ Rcvr Stamp.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 283
I have mixed up images from two different Mausers in the collection.
Please accept my most abject and humble apologies and I will revisit this issue when I have my ducks in a proper row.
Sorry!

The crest in the recent pics doesn't look like a CZ Mauser at all. It looks like a Peruvian 1909 (Mauser-mfg.) as illustrated on pg. 280 of Ball's 3rd. Ed..

(PS: Please do not deliberately start duplicate threads. Thank you! :cool: )

Back