Is this legal?

Tucker 1371

I'm considering applying for a Class III permit sometime in the next few years but I seriously doubt I will ever have the cash to fork over for a full auto. I don't know trigger mechanisms too well but I was told by a friend that if you knew someone with a machine shop you could get them to do some work on the trigger group of a semi auto rifle to make it full auto. My questions are

1) Is this possible?
2) If you have the permit, is this legal?

There is no "class 3 permit."
Each class 3 weapon requires a special tax-most are $200, some are $5.
Individuals can not legally make machine guns anymore. Other NFA weapons can still be made, if the tax is paid.

Okay thanks, so there's not a process I have to go through to get some type of permit to own NFA weapons? I just have to buy a stamp?

There is a process that you have to go through, but it's for the Stamp, not for a Permit.
For an MG, it's $200, fingerprints, photos, and a Form 4 to ATF (plus the silly Citizenship form). Wait a few months, then you can go pick up your toy.

I was told by a friend that if you knew someone with a machine shop you could get them to do some work on the trigger group of a semi auto rifle to make it full auto.

That would be a FELONY.

Well, you could get a type 7 FFL and a class 2 SOT and build new ones.

If you just wanted to play with full auto for a short time it might be cheaper than purchasing pre ’86 toys.

If you just wanted to play with full auto for a short time it might be cheaper than purchasing pre ’86 toys.

Actually, that is a good way to go to jail. ATF considers it both perjury (for lying on the forms) and tax evasion (getting toys without paying taxes) if they decide you did this for the reason of getting machineguns for your personal use and you never intended to actually go into business.

And no, it most definately is not cheaper.

Back