Is this legal to own or do I start up my torch?

sammy1234

Inactive
I cant seem to find the info regarding posession of a Mac 10 frame. I have a Mac 10 frame that was made by bending a flat over a mandrel. It has the grip frame also welded and holes drilled. I was originally going to build an open bolt or closed bolt 45 acp gun with BATF approval. But recently a friend told me that he thought the frame was illegal to own and that I have to torch cut it into 3 pieces? At what point is it considered a NFA weapon? I know this forum has the expertise I need. Also, I have a friend with a Powder Springs M 10 frame that does have a serial #, but no records to allow a transfer. Should this be torched too ??? Thanks in advance

That frame is an illegal MG and you just admitted ownership on a public forum. Not the brightest thing you've ever done.

Well, I guess that means the torch gets lit ! My question WAS, at what point does the frame or frame flat become an illegal thing to posess????

Not taking Californication into account

By federal law frame building is fine untill you put in the holes or parts in the frame that make it a machine gun, open bolt fireing semi autos are also considered a machinegun.

If you build it to accept the full auto parts then you already broke the law.

When you speak of your friends powder springs 45 receiver, is it a machine gun receiver or a semi auto receiver. If machinegun it better find some paper. If an older pre-ban open bolt semi auto receiver then it will have some value, compared to a current production gun.

David, THANK YOU! At last a response I can use. Believe it or not, I called the BATF to ask about this and got a response that "if it does not have a trigger group, or a hole drilled for a selector and or a final 3rd fold on the flat , it is ok > Furthermore, the agent told me that it is perfectly legal to own and make a closed bolt pistol without BATF approval if its for your own personal use. The problem comes in if you sell the weapon. Then you have to serial # it.

Last edited:
Back