Is this LEGAL for a post-ban AR15?

Unicron

TFL members,

I have heard what AR15.COM members have to say about my question, but I would like to know what TFL members know about this situation.

Some persons with post-ban AR15's state that it is legal to install a telescoping stock that has been altered not to collapse anymore.

In the sense that the telescoping stock is no longer a "Collapsable Stock", I wonder if this is legal.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is legal.
IF - the modification to the stock that keeps it from changing position is PERMANANT and irreversable. Such as 2-ton epoxy or such "welding" the stock in position. Which position is optional... but it has to stay in position.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

last year on the ar15 list someone posted a way to modify the catch so that once engaged on a detent the stock locked and would never unlock again (barring application of the assault sawsall)

if the stock withstands an application of reasonable force and doesn't collapse it is a fixed stock

there are faux telescopic stocks that look like the real thing but are not

Knights sells one on the sr15K

one issue though
your gun will appear to violate the law
expect to be asked questions

welcome to the bleeding edge ;)

dZ

I'd just replace the stock rather than permanently screw up a perfectly good telescoping stock. But even if you do this, your weapon still isn't kosher because it has a "conspicuously protruding pistol grip."

The current law is "SB 23" which defines an assault weapon (rifle type - there are definitions for pistols and shotguns, too):

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine AND any ONE of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
[or] (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
[or] (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

As long as your rifle doesn't fit these descriptions, it is NOT an "assault weapon," (whatever that is).

You might want to check out "the one minute fix" at http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/1minfix.shtml

Naw, the law applies to anyone in California, resident or not. We're competing with NY and NJ for disarming our citizens.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I just revceived my telescoping stock the other day (4 position). I used a dremel to cut off the metal post & stud that the locking lever pulls on. I let the locking mechanism spring up into the 3rd hole and now there is no way to ever adust the stock. I pretty much just threw away the lever now that it is useless.

The shorter length of the stock feels much better, but I am kind of nervous to bring the AR to the range. But then again manufactures take pre-ban parts and modify them into post-ban parts all the time. For example, manufaturers cut off the bayonett lug on a pre-ban upper to make it post-ban. In any case, the stock is no longer collapsable...I should be o.k..

Good shooting.

Back