Is this holster safe?

imi

Inactive
For those familiar with the Uncle Mike's "Open Style Inside-the-Pant" Holster, made of black polymer suede, I'd like to get your opinions as to whether or not it is safe for either the Glock or Kahr pistols. Do I have to worry about an AD with this particular combination?

Safety depends on you. Keep the finger off the trigger when you holster or draw. I have friends who carry with that style of holster and they are always mindful of it.

I would also vote against using that type with a glock.....they are much safer when used with a rigid type holster that covers the trigger guard area.

I had one for my Keltec and also my Glock. No AD's or even any close calls. The problem is the stupid plastic clip is worthless and the holster is frequently drawn along with the gun. Find a different holster.

Thanks for all your comments, fellows! So, if the Uncle Mike is not recommendable, what is?

imi,
If you want inside the pant type of holster, look for a holster with reinforced top, one that will not collapse when you pull the gun out, one that allows you to reholster with one hand. Also the holsters should have belt loops to keep it secure in one place. The Sparks Summer Special (the original iwb) is great or any iwb holsters from Sparks if you like leather. If you prefer Kydex, check out Blade Tech.
Good luck.

The Uncle Mike's holster with metal clip and extra mag holder is what I use for my G19. I also have a cheap Gunmate ($8) for my .38. I am the king of cheap holsters and these are two of my favorites.

FWIW, for my Glock 26 I use a Kydex IWB holster from Arizona Tactical Accessories. It's simple, comfortable, and offers a good combination of speed and retention. Reholstering is not a problem. I expect any good Kydex holster (such as the Blade Tech that Ricky T mentions) would have similar benefits.

Back