Is this an ok Deal? asap please

IronBalls

I found a Mossberg590 (hardly used) with ghost sights, the integrated forend light and vang comp system for $725. Id like this shotgun, but it seems to me that i can build one myself for about that price ($350 for the shotgun, $220 for vang comp, $190 for the light, and thats just $760 all new) So if it is in good shape (just about 25 rounds through it), how much should i pay?

Also do any of you have comments on the vang comp system in general, and its use in a home defense role.
Thanks yall.

The Vang system garners few complaints, most users are quite emphatic about it's good points. I'm convinced it's
a good thing. However....

For the price of a Vanged shotgun, I could set up a used 870 with bells,whistles, fuzzy dice and fender skirts, and still have money left for range fees and plenty of ammo. Maybe even enough for an intensive Shotgun class from one of the heavyweight teachers too.

A shortbbled 870, 590, etc, right out of the box is one incredibly effective short range weapon in trained hands. The extras, including the Vang mods, add something, but it's the cherry on top of the Sundae.

Here's the essentials, all else is extras.

A reliable shotgun of at least two shot capacity.

A stock that fits.

A good trigger.

And a light, tho finding a reliable, durable one for elss than the price of the weapon might be difficult.

That's it.

Nest thing to buy is ammo, lots of it, and then use it up.

You're very welcome, IronBalls.

It may be time to do a bit of range testing here. I've been invited to do a friendly shotgun match with some "Practical" shooters. I've not shot their facility or COF before, but I believe it's a 20 round match, with steel plates and silohuettes. Ammo can include slugs.

Anyway, if I can I'll shoot the course twice. Once with one of my heavily accessorized,GR sighted, extended mag and so on, Serious 870s. Once with Frankenstein, the 21" bbled parts 870 y'all must be getting tired of hearing about. Total mods, forcing cone and trigger work,stock fit. I'll screw in an IC choke tube in each and use the KO slugs and Estate 00 we've talked about as controls.

If this happens, and it's a maybe, I'll post the results, whatever they are.

Awe shucks, I did it. This morning i drove down to Vang Comp and flogged my credit card. I went with the 590A1 (metal trigger) 18.5" version. I had just planned on getting the SG alone, but when i saw all the upgrades and deals on used stuff, I decided to build it up. So in 10 days, ill pick up my Vang'd 590A1 holding 6+1 rounds, green follower, with an integrated light, and on a wooden shortend stock. Man its one heck of a shucker, but it did add up Kaa-Ching.

As a side note- Hans at Vang Comp is a great guy to dealwith, honest and straight foward.

Back