Is this a S&W Revolver? No Emblem

Whiteboy67

Hello, I recently came across this revolver and am not sure what model it is. I've included a link to an image hosting site that has all the pictures. I'm fairly certain the revolver has been re-blued but I didn't see any logo on the frame. Could it have been sanded down too far and a thick bluing coat applied after? I have no experience with re-bluing so I'm not sure if that's even possible. Any info is appreciated!

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/j17Qu

Thank you,
Cody

It looks like a pre-m27?? The hammer style, rear sight checkering, and tapered bbl all looks pre-model 27 to me...Could this be what's known as a Registered Magnum??

I have been told that true stripping and re-blueing does wear on any engraving and stamps. Quite possible this has been re-blued.

Love to hear what a member more knowledgeable than I has to say about it....

It appears to be a Registered Magnum and I believe is marked as such. Too bad it has been refinished as far as the collector value goes. Should be a good shooter.

I have the same gun

It is a pre 27 that has been refinished. You have a nice N framed revolver there.

Mine has the emblem smoothed off also

steve

The registered magnum's still had the smith logo on the right side of the frame, no?
It's a Registered Magnum from the mid / late 1930's. The logo has been removed by aggressive polishing for the refinish.

Still worth 4 figures.

Jim

As other have stated, it is a Registered 357 Magnum. The registration # is the 4 digit number after the REG. on the yoke. In this case 3986.

The owner could probably find a source which could re-stamp the S&W emblem if desired. There are several sources that could restore it to like new such as Ford down in Florida. It would be expensive, but a weapon of this desirability might be worth it. It will never recover the value of a good non-refinished one.

Indications are that the gun is a "Registered Magnum", made 1935-1939. The original box would have included a certificate with the named purchaser.

The factory Magnum registration number is consistent with the serial number as are the humpback hammer and the rear sight. That would be the good news. The bad news is that the gun has obviously been heavily polished and reblued (perhaps several times) and at one point was badly rusted and heavy buffing used to remove the rust (see pictures of frame w/o grips; the pitting is obvious and deep)

How much has the value been decreased? A lot, but I am not sure of current prices for a Registered Magnum. Regardless, the value of that gun is a LOT less than the value of a RM with its original finish. I would "guesstimate" a value of about $2000, but will be happy to be corrected by someone with later knowledge.

P.S. At the start of .357 production, S&W was not putting its monogram on the side-plate; that was begun 12/2/36.

Jim

Howdy

Blue is not like paint, it does not have any thickness. If a firearm is badly rusted and pitted, it will usually be polished down to remove the rust and pits. Then it is reblued.

What you have there is a Registered Magnum that has sadly been overpolished by a refinisher who did not know what he was doing. The Registered Magnum program was a marketing campaign started by S&W to introduce the 357 Magnum cartridge in 1935. Each Registered Magnum had a registration number stamped on it, and the owner received a registration certificate from S&W. The Registered Magnums were custom guns, produced to the specifications of the person who ordered it. There were 23 barrel lengths to choose from, six types of sights, service grips or Magna grips, and the gun could be finished blue, nickel plated, or it could be engraved. As previously stated, the Registration number for this one is 3986.

S&W never intended the Registered Magnums to be a high volume product, the factory could only turn out about 120 of them per month. The catalog price for a Registered Magnum in 1935 was $60, $15 more than any other revolver in the catalog. That was a great deal of money in 1935, at the height of the Great Depression. Even so, demand for the Registered Magnums far outstripped the ability of S&W to supply them, so in 1939 S&W did away with the Registered Magnum program. About 5,244 Registered Magnums had been produced, Serial Numbers ranged from 45768 to 62489. After 1939, The 357 Magnum continued to be produced, but the choice of options was greatly reduced. In 1957 S&W changed over to a numbering system for all their firearms and The 357 Magnum became the Model 27.

You can see how this one was overpolished by the refinisher. The lettering of the markings is over polished and no longer as crisp as it was when first produced. Compare how blurry the markings on the surface of the revolver are to how crisp the markings down under the cylinder yoke are. You can also see some of the screw holes have been slightly dished, and the joint around the side plate has been rounded over. The joint should be almost invisible. You can also see how the trademark markings on the rear of the hammer have been blurred. The serial number on the bottom of the butt of this revolver appears to match the serial numbers on the rear face of the cylinder and the inside of the relief under the barrel for the exactor rod. The serial number should also be stamped on the underside of the extractor star. This will indicate that those parts are original and the revolver left the factory with those parts.

Regarding the logo, many S&W revolvers of that period had a small S&W logo deeply stamped on the left side of the frame. Overpolishing would probably not have removed it. At some point, a larger logo was stamped on the side plate. This logo was not so deeply engraved and it is possible the refinisher completely obliterated it when he over polished the side plate.

Measure the barrel from cylinder face to muzzle. The RMs were made in custom order barrel lengths and some are rare and add greatly to value (although it is a shooter grade gun at this point). I would drop the $75 for the letter and see where it was shipped and to whom.

The logo was moved from from one side to the other in 1937 or 38 so some RMs have it on the right and others are on the left depending on when they were made. If you have the original stocks in decent shape they are worth $500+ by themselves.

Figure $1,500 for a common barrel length RM in crappy shape to $20,000 or more for a pristine example in original box.

Nice looked Registered if you want a shooter.

I shoot mine and enjoy it every time. The posts above are great information so all I can add is that pre-war grips are expensive and post war grips will probably be a bit short so the frame sticks out a bit below the bottom of the grips.

N-frame 357's shoot very nice.... The heft of the large framed wheelgun really soaks up the recoil well. I have a m28-2 Highway Patrolman, essentially the same revolver you are looking at, just newer and less pretty. Full house 357 from my 28 is like 38spl out of my K-frame m19-3. N-frame 357s are great shooters, but will not be as concealed carry friendly for obvious reasons.

http://imgur.com/a/c9mYe

There's aftermarket grips on it I believe and it's got a 6.5" barrel. Do these things shoot like a dream? I don't own it myself but I'm thinking of making the gentleman an offer on it.
The grips are definitely not original and the barrel is measured from the edge of the forcing cone (essentially the cylinder face) to the muzzle. That picture with the tape measure is on a weird angle but it looks like the barrel length might be 7.25-7.5". Regardless, a Registered Magnum is always worth owning, every one is a piece of American firearm history. I'd sure try to buy it if I had the opportunity, and I'll bet it's a sweet shooter with that long barrel.

Sorry that was me trying to hold the tape measure and my phone in the other hand. It's a 6.5" barrel. I'll see if I can work out a deal with the gentleman. I appreciate all your guys help. I learned quite a bit from everyone who posted! Thank you again.

Back