Is this a Hammerli...if so what model?

Atticus Thraxx

Guys, I'm looking for information on what appears to be a "free pistol".
There's no name, only a crest on backstrap of a four pointed? star with I think a hammer in middle. there's a "127" on the bottom of mag well and an "89" on the barrel.
It's a .22, single-shot with an 11" barrel. Elaborate rear sight setup.
Here's some pic with the furniture removed.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/ghosch4/?albumview=slideshow

I do not recognize the trademark but it is certainly a Martini actioned free pistol similar in layout to a Hammerli Model 103.

Try posting your inquiry to Targettalk.org a/o the yahoo Free Pistol group.

You're right, that is a FP but I don't recognize the make and model. The barrel, trigger guard and blade, and grip frame suggest, to me, that it's an early modern design. The contouring of the guard and blade look German (e.g. Hammerli or Anschutz).

Here's a depiction of the history of FP's w/ designs that are indicative of their evolution.
http://www.geocities.com/pistoleer2001/Evolution.html

But I'm not an expert on Free Pistols, and there were a lot of small builders over the years, so it probably best to get a more informed opinion.

I'd seen your post to TT. With those grips on, it does look like a Hammerli.

Regarding your question as to how it works. Free Pistols often have a two stage action. So you cock the pistol using one lever, and set the trigger using another. On yours the cocking is likely accomplished using the lever that extends through the base of the grip frame. Try pushing it against whichever direction it resists. Once it's cocked, the lever may move freely. The trigger is probably set using the lever on LH side - push it down until you feel a click.

But don't dry fire it without a snap cap, or empty case in the chamber. The firing pin assemblies can be fragile on FPs, so I'd try to take care when testing it.

What's interesting is that the pistol in your pics doesn't look like it's been used. It's rare to find an older FP in this condition. They're often pretty hacked-up.

I have no doubt that a Hammerli would be marked appropriately, but that type of pistol was also made in Russia (USSR) and China and those might not have been marked.

Jim

Back