Is this a good rifle/scope combo?

Hueco

Hey. I am currently looking at a Marlin 882SS .22 Magnum that I will put a BSA 8-32x44 Platinum Target scope on. What is the word on this rifle's accuracy at 100+ yds, it's durabiltiy, and overall performance? Also, let me know what you think of the scope. Will I have parallax problems at 50 yds? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Hueco

Well, you might be going a bit over the top on magnification...

The .22 mag is a great cartridge. Santa, I'd like a Ruger 77/22 Laminated Stainless in .22 magnum... Santa? Santa??? The Marlin is a solid performer and I love stainless. The trigger might be rough...

Anyway, 200yds is about it for the .22 mag and sub MOA accuracy at that distance is questionable. 8-32x will give you a smaller field of view making it harder to pick up game in the scope. "Reticle shake" at the higher powers will be damned annoying. That's more or less a target only scope. Unless your shooting tiny targets, you might be able to get away with 6-24x or even a 4-12x or 4-16x. I think you'll find the lower powers useful in .22 mag applications. I'd look for an adjustable objective if you plan to wring out the best ammo/gun combination...

huceo--
i have a marlin 883ss. it is the same gun as the 882 but tube feed instead of detachable magazine.
i topped mine with a simmons 3x10x44 44mag scope. I know one thing, this gun is an absolute tack driver!!!!! i can put ten shots into one ragged hole at fifty yards. at 100 i can hold them normally right at one inch(sometimes close to 1/2").
just fyi, my marlin .22's, and most of the my buddies mariln .22's i have shot, do not shoot high velosity rounds well. for instance....MaxiMag Plus-v's group at about an inch at 50 and well over two inches at 100. i beileve that the micro-grooving in the barrel just flings the high-vel stuff everywhere. you should try them, but mine will not shoot them well.
that large a scope may be overkill, but if thats what you want then by all means put it on. if you don't like it you can always put a smaller scope on..i generally keep my set at 6-7x.
longest squirrel kill was 120 paces.
they are definatly sweet rifles!!!!!
cant you tell i love mine!!!!
happy shooting
hope this helps

------------------
.308 WIN: The ONLY cartridge you will EVER need!

[This message has been edited by cartman308 (edited December 08, 1999).]

Thank you both for your opinion. Glad to hear the Marlin is indeed a good rifle. I'll be double checking my scope options now though. hehe If I can kill one thing well...it'd be "over." Take it easy guys.

Hueco

Back