Is this a good price on a Python?

BobR

There is a Python (exc cond), with an 8" barrel for sale locally. I have not seen a lot of them offered for sale, he wants 550 dollars for it. I was thinking that if it was a good enough deal I could get it and resell it or trade for a shorter barreled one for my wife, she is desiring a .357 at the present time for a bedside gun. I am in total agreement with her choice of a revolver for the bedside, point, pull the trigger...repeat until empty. No worrying about a safety, a misfeed, or other things that can go wrong with a semi. She wants a new gun because I work nights a lot. She presently has my S&W airweight in .38 with her but really wants a .357. If this python is a good deal I will get it, if not I am trying to lean her towards a .41mag. Any and all opinions are welcome. TIA

EDIT:
After cruising GunsAmerica....all I can say is wow. These things go for some change. I think this one will be coming home to papa tomorrow!

[Edited by BobR on 01-28-2001 at 01:21 PM]

Sounds like a great price, but I believe that 8 inchers are possibly the least desirable barrel length for the Python so finding someone to trade their 4 or 6 incher may not happen. At least I wouldn't trade my 6 inch Python for one with an 8 inch tube. For a house gun the one nice thing about the longer barrels is they cut down on muzzle blast and flash. Of course it's hard not to like a Python no matter what the barrel length.

PYTHON 8"

BobR, sounds like a good price for a used Python, But an 8"
barrel is more useful for hunting than a home gun. In the early 80s Colt made a run of 8" Hunter Pythons with mounted scopes and in a hardcase. A very nice 75 yard deerslayer! I would consider it too large for a home defense gun although the intimidation factor cannot be ignored...........Mike

Price sounds ok to me. But I heard Colt is making firearms for the general public again, so prices may come down.
Happy Intruder Shooting..........

Back