Is this a good price for a preban AR?

Josh D

Preban AR-15. Colt manufac., 6601 lower, 14.5 M4 barrel on the fixed carry handle upper on gun now(flash suppressor is PERMANANTLY attached), Colt 4 position collapsable stock on gun now, original Colt A2 stock, original Colt 20" HBAR, cleaning kit, original box, 15 various 20 & 30 round mags, small scratch on M-4 barrel, everything else is cherry cond.

Is $1215 shipped a good price? Ha Ha I know it is, just wanted to razz you guys :)

------------------
We're on the express elevator to hell, goin' down!

Shhhhh...don't wanna burst the bubbles that those people who paid $900 for a LOWER ONLY have built around them :) or even me who paid $475 for a lower and built the M-4... :)

When did lowers cost $475.00? 1972? Just curious, but what brand is it, and how do you like the gun?

------------------

The 14.5 inch barrel should cause you some concern. Unless you have one of those 4.5 inch flash suppressors permanently attached, you're in trouble.

The price is good though.

Destructo6,
Sorry bud, but you should be the one concerned, because either you are thinking of something different or you don't know what you are talking about. If you are thinking of the 18in. minimum length, thats for the shotguns. A rifle is only 16 in. 14.5 + 1.5 = 16. Actually, the hider is slightly longer than 1.5, according to the seller. However, if you have a 10.5 in barrel, you need to perm. attach a 5.5 in hider. That is why a lot of barrels are listed as 10.5 + 5.5 .

------------------

If you have a 14.5" barrel you must pin and weld on a flash hider that is at least 1.5" long. Just having the flash hider screwed on is not enough. Im not sure if you knew this so I thought I would clear it up.

Josh,
With the bolt forward, run a cleaning rod down the bore until it contacts the bolt face. Mark where the end of the flash suppressor is on the cleaning rod. Remove cleaning rod and measure from end to the mark. This must be 16". This is how BATF determines barrel length. If you have a standard A2 flash suppressor mounted, it's probably NOT long enough. You lose about 3/8 of an inch to the threads. Usually companies use a vortex in this application as it's longer.

You may have inadvertantly aquired an unregistered NFA weapon.

Unfortunately, it's really "buyer beware" out there right now. The number of post-bans built in preban configuration and sold by dishonest or unknowing dealers just boggles your mind. I had a friend put money down on a "preban" Olympic Arms Carbine at a reputable gunshop a couple weeks ago. He went in to pick it up and was told they couldn't sell it to him because they had discovered it actually wasn't a preban. They refunded his deposit and offered him a good deal on a post ban Colt along with their apologies.

Unfortunately the law is vague enough that mistakes like this are honestly made and it doesn't help when the dishonest ones out there deliberatly build and sell an illegal post ban weapon at the inflated preban price.
Jeff

The seller said that the flashider is of the A2 variety, but slightly longer to push the length over 16in. As for being preban, the gov. has screwed itself on that. The serial number is preban, but that dosen't mean yes or no. I guess I'll take that chance, because I am not gonna' pay $1600 for a blue label that has been fired 300 times. Whoever says- not fired much, about 300 times-, needs to get a life. 300 rounds is a lot for even a .22 lr.

------------------

Lol no not '72, 6 months ago :)
It is an EA with one of the mock kits that JT sells. I personnaly like the clash of the gray reciever and the black upper, gives it a nice look :)
BTW my mock M4 has an A2 hider on it but is about 16.25 barrel length so there must be some kind of spacer in there.

[This message has been edited by striker3 (edited July 03, 1999).]

HEY, striker3, I picked up a couple of those E.A.lowers a year and a half ago, and just recently got tired of the "COUNTRY SQUIRE station wagon, 2 tone trim option" on my CAR 15, and went out and had my local ClassIII mfr. MOLYCOAT the reciever. Its so close to a perfect match between the upper and lower it looks factory. Check into Molycoating, it cost me 35.00 and was worth every penny!

------------------
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of cool weaponry! My American Dream!

Back