Is this a good deal?

Bulldog44

A local gunshop has a S&W Model 29 with Pachmayr grips and a 6 inch barrel. This gun doesn't even look like it's ever been fired, and the dealer wants $325 for it. Is this a wise investment?

Sounds like a good deal, Bulldog - - -.

- - -if it is a late gun in that condition. If an older model--recessed case heads and pinned barrel, in that nice a shape, it is probably a VERY good deal. One can only be sure if careful inspection shows it hasn't been dropped with cylinder open, with the (probable) attendant damage. Most guns in that condition have been well-taken-care-of.

Good luck to you,
Johnny

Jump on it.
A lot of .44 Mags can be found in virtually unfired condition. Some people buy 'em cause they want one, discover the recoil is not to their liking, or the cost of ammo is prohibitive, and trade it in or sell it.
Based upon your description, I would be willing to bet ammo this is the case.
Take Care

Well, I went back to the dealer and he had JUST sold it a few minutes before.

However, he had a nice Ruger Redhawk in stainless (5 1/2 inch barrel) which had all the papers, was like new, etc., etc., for ten dollars more. Needless to say, I bought the thing before somebody else decided to liberate it from the confines of the gunshop.

Now I get to have even more fun looking for a nice holster for it.

Last edited:
You did allright on the Ruger. And might have dodged a headache. That 29 was so low that it sounds like it might have been unwell. Not like the dealer didn't know the book on it cause he had the Ruger priced pretty right. A little in your favor.

Happy shootin.

Sam

Holster for Redhawk

Bulldog.
Good buy on the ruger. If you find a nice holster for the gun let me know I have been looking for a while for one to fit the same gun. I bought a Uncle mikes sidekick for now, but would like to get a nice leather holster for it
Mark

Back