Is this a good deal? Ruger 38 special

Blarneystone

Hi,

I've been looking around for a nice 'first' handgun. Overwhelmingly, many people here have suggested a revolver. I like revolvers more than the semi-autos for some reason anyway. So I was glad that was the suggestion.

I found someone selling a Police Service Ruger six (I believe 1988 model) 38 special. It has a 4" barrel and it is strictly double action as there is no hammer to pull back.

It is running about $250 US. What do you think? Or should I hold out for the .357 Mag?

I am a happy multiple Ruger owner, and there's nothing wrong with the .38S, but...

For your first gun, an exposed hammer which allows you to shoot SA or DA mode just seems more versatile. You can buy a new Ruger SP101 or GP100 .357 for < $400, giving you the added versatility of shooting both .357M and .38S from the same gun.

Of course, most TLFers will agree that you should probably buy the hammerless model now, then a .357M, then a .45, a 9mm............

Hold out for a .357. If it's gonna be the only gun you have for a while, you'll want the versatility...I'd also avoid a double-action-onyl for the first gun.

I'd have to echo the other posters. Look at this purchase as a lifetime investment. Get a good gun and make sure it's something you'll enjoy years from now, and handing down to your kids. The 357 mag is a more versatile gun. I also wouldn't go with a DAO revolver.

Lots of good 357 revolvers out there, both new and used. They really are great guns. Good luck and enjoy the learning process!

While I have no problem with Ruger revolvers. I think it would be fairly easy to get a clean pre agreement model 66 or model 19 that would suit you better.

I've always thought that the .357 was two guns for the pricwe of one. you can load it up or down to meet your needs.

Ruger

I would recommend that you go with the ruger GP100 $375.00 new in my State.
If this is to much you could always go with the ruger security Six and buy Used.
Here is a like so you can check out some of the prices used.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/

Ruger GP100
gp161b.gif

Ruger Security Six

357l.jpg

Good Luck,
Tony

Last edited:
If this is going to be your first handgun, my advice would be to skip this deal and look for a .357. I recently purchased a good used Ruger Security Six, SS with a four inch barrel for the same price as the gun you are looking at. It gives the versatility of being able to shoot both .38's and .357's, single or double action. This would be a type of gun you can use to progress from beginner to novice with. You could start with the lower powered .38's and learn to shoot single action, before moving up to the more powerful .357 and double action shooting. Also, if I am not mistaken, the Service Six has a fixed rear sight instead of an adjustable one. I'd advise you to get a revolver with an adjustable rear sight for the first one. Just my humble opinion.

This isn't THAT bad a gun...

See, if all you want to shoot is .38, or .38+P, if you buy this particular .38 Ruger you can be sure it hasn't been fed a huge diet of .357 and therefore, should be in good shape.

I would say it's worth about $200. At that price, you've getting a pretty good defense piece, if you're willing to practice to master the DA stroke. Which you should do anyways. CorBon makes some very hot 125 and 110grain +P JHP .38 loads that should pull real strong out of that 4" tube and aren't gonna stress the frame any.

There's flexibility in having a .357 and a hammer, but...hmmm. It's still a damn fine gun.

In California, if this is a private-party deal, that's the only way you could get it because it's not on the DOJ "list", therefore it could command a slight premium in this state. $250 would be on par.

Jim

For strictly 38's I'd pass at that price. As mentioned, a DA 357 Magnum is much more versatile.

My first ever was a Ruger Security Six in .357.

Go with something of that nature.

Just make sure you have some barrel length on it :)

My snubbie was kinda brutal. Thank goodness for the Pachmyrs.

They're really nice guns. Personally, I'd look for one in .357. Nothing wrong with the .38, though. You don't describe condition, but that price seems at least $100 too high. I would buy the gun you describe (assuming decent condition) at $120 - I think the .38 spl. chambering detracts from the value somewhat, but you'd be fine at that $120.

Back