Is this a fair characterization of handgun barrel lengths?

Futo Inu

Yes, I've been ponderin' stuff again, and got to thinking of the significant difference the barrel length in a handgun can make in terms of both power and accuracy, esp. in certain calibers (e.g. .357 mag), and came up with what I think is an accurate generalization relating barrel length to the primary application best suited to that bbl length (applies to revolvers and semis as well). What do you'ens think? Perhaps a ballistician can describe for us the increasing then diminishing returns offered by gradually increasing bbl length, in general?

1. Gut Gun: 1.0" to 1.75", for derringers, mini-revolvers and such - practically useless; would probably be better off with a knife (never heard of any gun with less than 1.0" bbl)

2. Defense of self/CCW: 2.0" to 4.0", for highly concealable handguns, yet given the right caliber, with plenty of power and accuracy for a typical justified deadly-force civilian defense shooting, which is most often under 3 yards, typically well under 7 yards, and almost always under 10 yards.

3. LEO Duty/Defense of others/Home Defense/Trail sidearm: 4.25" to 6.0". This bbl length range, though also highly suitable for civi carry defense, is probably not necessary for it in the overwhelming majority of cases. However, the "extra" bbl length will give enough added accuracy to take ethical defensive shots (e.g. to defend others) of up to 25 yards or so with a high liklihood of hitting one's target, esp. if the shooter is well-trained. Still, even the vast majority of shootings by LEOs will occur under 15 yards, and 4"+ will give plenty of practical accuracy under 15 yards. Also, a longer shot will likely be justified in a home defense scenario since any perturbance of a dwelling will usually justify deadly force. For example, I for one would shoot an intruder as soon as I can see him and make out that he is not an invited guest, so if that happens to be across the widest room in my house, that's about 10 yards, which is a lot further than a typical "street" defensive shooting range.

4. Hunting. 6.25" to 15.75". Both civilian and LEO would be hard pressed to cite examples of justified reactionary defensive shootings (not counter-terrorist or hostage-type situations, where a sniper rifle is called for) at a distance longer than that which may be confidently taken with a bbl length of 6", so this or longer bbls have primarily hunting applications.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited January 07, 2000).]

"barrel length in a handgun can make in terms of both power and accuracy"

Barrel length really doesn't have anything to do with accuracy per se. Longer barrel allows longer sight radius which aids in a more fine tuned sighting system.

A barrel's rifling determines rate of twist which stabilizes the bullet. If the ROT is sufficient for any given bullet, it matters not the length of the barrel - the bullet will be stabilized and will be as accurate in a 2" as in a 6" - of course, this is physics & has nothing to do with the human factor.

I think your on target. Very interesting analysis.

Spelling looks good too. :)

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Lab, my first instinct is to say that you're wrong about bbl length not mattering in accuracy per se (only to the extent of affecting stabilization). But as much as you know, I suspect you may be on to something there. It runs counter to my intuitive logic, but do you have any authoritative sources you can cite that back up your statement (maybe it's even common knowledge - I don't know)

I believe Lab is correct. Chamber diameter, forcing cone erosion, bore diameter, sight alighnment, sight radius, consistency of the shooter, lighting, etc. can and do affect accuracy. Why would barrel length, in and of itself, affect accuracy?

Negotiations with fanatics is a no-win situation.

Futo,

I don't think it's common knowledge at all - that's kinda like "common sense," which ain't. ;)

If the barrel's long enough for the bullet to engage the rifling & impart spin - the bullet's stabilized as much as it's going to be no matter much much "extra" barrel you got.

Never done it but an interesting test would be to scope a 2" snubby & use iron sights on a 6" - same type revolver/ammo & shoot 'em at 25 yds or so. Bet the snubby would turn in just as good scores. 'Course, there's gonna be differences between ANY two shooters - even consecutive serial numbers - but the theory applies.

I *think* Charlie Petty did something like this with a ransom rest a few years ago.

Futo, I do believe this to be a true statement. The only semi-scientific test I am aware of that indicates the validity of the idea was done by Mark White a couple of years ago.

He used a 1022 and went from factory length to two inches. (Class III dealer) Lots of neat data in his article. I'm pretty sure it was in Precision Shooting and I may (no promises) have it.

Tom Ferguson also did a couple of articles hat would tend to confirm this idea and I think Elmer Keith held this opinion also.

Giz

I'm not too sure about the tactical necessity of LEOs making 25 yard shots. Most LEO shootings occur well under ththat range- closer to 7 feet or there abouts... The detectives I used to work with are issued Glock 27s, and they consistently scored well while qualifying- all the way out to the 25 yard line. I believe the reported loss of accuracy resulted in a five point decrease in scores, out of a possible 210. They were pleased.

Erik

Shorter barrels can provide better accuracy because they may be stiffer, giving less vibration.

Think 400 CorBon, 357 Sig.......lots of meat around the bore.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

I have read that a bullet will "skid" a short distance in the barrel before it engages the rifling and starts to spin. If that's true, then it's possible that a very, very short barrel (say, 0.5" for a .44 Magnum revolver) would fail to stabilize a bullet.

It seems that increasing barrel length tends to improve "shootability" (as opposed to mechanical accuracy) in several ways:

1) It allows the front sight to be placed further from the rear sight, increasing sight radius.

2) It makes the handgun more muzzle heavy, making it easier to hold steady (up to a point).

3) By adding mass, it also reduces the unpleasantness of recoil and muzzle flip.

4) It allows the propellant gasses more time to accelerate the bullet, resulting in higher velocity which reduces wind drift and bullet drop.

In NRA Bullseye pistol competition, a sport which places a premium on accuracy, the most popular barrel lengths are 4-7" for .22s and 5" for .45s. Barrels have gotten shorter since the use of dot sights has negated the importance of sight radius.

S&W had an insert in with my Titanium Centennial model that said, for the benefit of the State of Massachusetts (only), the gun with a 2" bbl would shoot into an inch at 25 yards or something similar. I always knew those J frames could shoot!

The longer sight radius of a longer bbl is usually the determining factor if a gun is easier to make high scores with, not a measure of intrinsic mechanical accuracy. Thats why folks like the Novak sights on 45s -- they give an extra 1/2" of sight radius without any extra bbl length, IMHO.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

We do head shots on rabbits with 2.5" SW66 (sight radius of ~5") fairly regularly at 25yds using HBWCs. Takes a bit more concentration than would a 6" Python but the accuracy seems to be there - just harder for us humans to evoke.

I think Matt VDW hit the nail on the head with point number 4 regarding barrel length and velocity. But there does become a point at which the propellant gases are spent and and the extra barrel produces drag. Maybe the real test would be to take a pistol caliber rifle like a pc9 or pc40 and progressively reduce the length until you reach the optimum velocity/accuracy.

Back