Is there any sort of "parts replacement schedule" for mossberg 500?

ezmiraldo

I got this puppy for HD, and need it to be in tip-top shape at all times. Do I need to worry about pro-actively replacing any parts (such as ejector, trigger group, cartridge stop, etc. etc.) after certain round count?

Shoot it at least once a month. Go out the range and shoot Skeet or Trap. Load the mag to max.-1. Shoot & rack, shoot & rack, shoot & rack, and shoot & rack. This will find any problems, will smooth out the action, and will make shooting the 500 feel natural to you.

Only when something breaks.

As to the trap/skeet range, that is a fun way to break it in, but be careful about loading more than 2 shells at a time as most clubs do not allow that for safety reasons.

The cheapest way is to just watch some TV and rack it a thousand times, but that might scare your significant other or the neighbors!..:eek:;):D

Ammunition is the only replacement part till something actually breaks.

If anyone has a 500 what have they broke?
I've had mine since 1998 and broke nothing but I did change the safety to something I can operate better with gloves.

My dad has had one since the 80's and hasn't had to replace anything.

Depending on how often you shoot it, springs are typically the first thing to be replaced (usually after 5-10K rounds), then MAYBE a firing pin.

Many guns are damaged by people trying to "fix" things that aren't broken.

If it's like most Mossberg 500's, you will shoot it for decades before anything goes wrong

I broke the two pins in the rails that work the slide. Never could find stock pins so I made mine out of two nails. Still works fine after 20 years.

Mossberg Parts

Ez.....No disrespect intended to anyone out there, BUT.... Nothing ever needs replacement UNTIL...... it breaks. Question is....When will it break? Seems like it never does until you need it the most. Too late when the S H T F, and you're in a corner up SCHITT's Creek.
Buy, trade, or do whatever needs doing to secure any replaceable parts you can BEFORE you find yourself in that predicament. Then, you'll have them and won't have to worry about being able to get them. It's always best to be prepared.
WILL.

Mossberg 500's have a bad habit of having the screw on the safety button loosen up. When that happens, the little ball bearing inside falls out and sometimes causes the safety to jam. If the screw comes all the way out the safety can get stuck in the on position.

While it doesn't need replaced, this is one detail that needs checked every once in a while to make sure it doesn't loosen up. I had one this happened to, with a deer standing in front of me. The gun was a dedicated Mossberg 500 deer gun and on its 2nd deer season. The other one that I saw was our former blacksmith's hunting gun.

The cure is Guntite, or NON-permanent Loctite. I also replaced the plastic safety button with a metal one. I cannot comment if current buttons are plastic or metal, mine was plastic.

The screw holding the ejector in (on the gunsmith's gun) also came loose, which caused the mechanism to jam. I helped him repair that also.

Bottom line, on a HD or in fact any gun, simply make it a habit of doing preventive maintenance, such as checking for loose screws, proper lubrication for the gun's application, etc.

I lost the bolt to my M590 while cleaning it one time. Had to send it back to Mossberg for that. :o

Other than that, over the course of 15 years, nothing had broken, and the action has gotten considerably smoother.

I use to be pretty good at informal skeet shooting with it. Kind of a cheap party trick.

Nice post MoGas1341.

I'd say to go through the full inspection in the link MoGas1341 posted. If everything is visually and functionally ok, then there is no need to replace anything. And if everything is good then you can expect it to be that way for a long time unless you expect to put it through some adverse abuse. Just check to see that all the screws are tight and pins in place after each field strip and cleaning if your wanting to be 100% sure it's ready for Home Defense Duty and you'll be set.

Chances are the magazine spring is fine too, but I might consider replacing that with a new one just because, especially if you intend to keep the magazine loaded around the house.

Thanks ^^^^^

I hoped it would help. As an Engineer in the service I got to use the Mossberg 500/590s and Remington 870s and this was the same info the armorers gave us.

Also, on a side note, I asked my friend today how often he had to work on them (he's an active duty armorer) and he said at most, and this is very seldom, the extractors break or crack from idiot Jarheads abusing them or the magazine tubes get dented, once again, idiot Jarheads!

I appreciate all the comments, folks! I'm coming from semi-auto pistol world, and over there adhering to strict schedule is a must. This shotgun does seem to be constructed very ruggedly, and I doubt it's as high-maintainance as my sig226 is.

Thanks to MoGas for posting the army manual. Just a side note -- the army manual is a bit funny -- I mean, you need a manual for the manual to understand all the acronyms and specialized lingvo. It's also interesting to see how army thinks about solving problems (e.g., Problem: Trigger pressed, no discharge. Solution: Load ammo into the tube). Just poking fun, folks... :D I'll read it thoroughly soon -- I'm sure it has lots of very valuable info in it, too.

If it's equipped with a plastic safety switch, it can break.
You might want to change it to a metal one as a preventive measure.

Seems the easiest thing to do is to get a second gun-----that way if your primary goes down ---you have a second gun to use until the other one gets fixed.

Back