Is there any reason the Lee PPM shouldn't be used with BP?

Pond James Pond

As the title suggests.

I have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I don't use it. I have a Lyman Gen 6 and VV powders metered badly out of the Lee.

But if I can get BP, is there any reason not to use it for charging purposes?

I could probably google a Lee measure, but instead I'll assume they are plastic with a 'useful life window' that is in direct sight.
I've used a few of their molds and had success, but would not consider most of their products due to my personal experience and observations.
I like to buy once.

I would not use any plastic measures due to concerns over static electricity (but am sure some folks do).

I would recommend either using a black powder pencil type adjustable measure or even a BP
pistol powder flask if you cannot make a scoop from a 45-70 case with a copper handle brazed on.

If the loads are for your breech loader (paper cartridges) no drop tubing is necessary anyway, so
you would not be losing any reloading speed.

Hope you are able to get black powder. A gunsmith friend of mine has helped quite a few people
shooting inline cap guns after they met with lackluster BP substitute groups.
All were new to muzzleloaders and were amazed at how accurate a BP charge was and how simple cleaning was as well.

JT

Last edited:
So when the Sharps Rifle Co. said around 1880, "For fine shooting, powder should be weighed on a scale." they were wrong?

I don't worry about static electricity on a plastic measure igniting powder, they ship even black powder in plastic cans now.

But static cling is a great annoyance. My BP measure is a Redding with a metal hopper... double base smokeless destroyed the cheap acrylic factory hopper anyhow. And my plastic PACT scale pan is coated with graphite mold release.

If you know the basics, you have the answer !!!!!

So when the Sharps Rifle Co. said around 1880, "For fine shooting, powder should be weighed on a scale." they were wrong?
"Come on, man" You know the answer to that question and of course, they are not wrong and no one is saying that. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!!

When shooting with black powder,filling the space completely, no air gaps trumps charge weight,

As far as static or any other hazard, I'd bet Lee can give you better info than my opinion.
Contact them

T. O'Heir said:
BP is measured in grains by volume not mass.
Grains is a unit of mass, not volume. Since it isn't possible to measure mass by volume, your statement requires clarification.

The Perfect Powder Measure doesn't measure mass (or weight). In fact, it doesn't "measure" anything. It is set to discharge a specific volume with each stroke. So if black powder is to be dispensed by volume, just set the PPM to discharge the required volume. But you'll need some sort of calibrated device that measures volume. If you want to check the weight, you have to throw a charge into the pan and put the pan on a scale.

Just like with smokeless powder.

People generally avoid weighing or measuring black powder in equipment that has steel parts due, I suppose, to the potential for ignition. I would not worry about plastic parts.

Measuring scales used to have brass pans. My late 1970s RCBS 10-10 scale does, at least.

If you are worried about weighing powder BP charges, you can make powder dippers out of cut off brass cartridge cases using twisted wire in the extractor groove as handles.

Grains is a unit of mass, not volume. Since it isn't possible to measure mass by volume, your statement requires clarification.
Grains are not a measure of mass, they are a measure of weight.

Volumetric powder measures have been around for centuries. They are marked by weight for a volume of black powder, sometimes by granulation. Since BP is hygroscopic, powder weight for a given volume could vary depending on weather conditions, but powder volume would always contain nearly the same volume of powder. It's a simple tool, but very effective.

Last edited:
Volumetric measures provide consistent amounts of an approximate weight.

The volume's actual weight varies by BP manufacturer, grain size, humidity, phase of the moon, and what you ate for breakfast.

Don't worry....
Be happy.
;)

I forget, did the OP end up with a "paper cutter" Sharps?
He will be fine with volumetric powder charges, much as the typical hunting muzzleloader.

I have known of target muzzleloading shooters to preweigh a day's loads into pill vials.

My main use of black powder has been in BPCR competition where most shooters weigh their loads like the Sharps Rifle Co told them to do 140 years ago. There are a few who use high end volumetric measures with the care a modern benchrest shooter operates his Harrel or Culver.

The other worry over mechanical measures besides their plastic hoppers is the fear of "striking a spark" with a steel drum in an iron housing. If that bothers you, Hornady and Lyman make rotary BP measures with brass moving parts.

Thanks for the insights, folks.

As yet, I have no idea if I'll use this but if BP shooting became a realistic option then it might come in handy which beats sitting at the bottom of a box, forever ignored.

And yes, I got a Sharps which, so far, has spent many an evening being polished and cleaned in front of Netflix.

It also featured in rather a splendid impersonation of of Rooster Cogburn as I stood on the sofa during a few scenes from True Grit.... Who says I don't take BP seriously?!

Back