Is there any real reason to either buy a .357 Sig over a .40 S&W or get one converted

Of course a shotgun is better than a 357 Sig. That's a no brainer. But to be honest, sounds like that shotgun article needs some serious updating. They sure haven't checked out some of the new 357 Sig ammo that is out there, and that LEO's are using.

The .40 and 357 Sig are two sides of a coin and work well together as long as the pistol can handle 40,000 psi. If you're thinking Glock, I'd get a Glock 357 and then buy an aftermarket barrel that has a little better chamber support.
If it's a SIG, it doesn't matter which one you buy. HK just supports the little USP compact in 357 Sig; Beretta just sells a small Cougar version of the 357 Sig as well. There are some aftermarket barrels for 1911 style pistols.

good luck.

I say "why not"? The .357 Sig is very accurate, easier to shoot then the .40S&W and the only cost that of a new barrel it is as if you got yo'self a new blaster!

As far as the firearmstatical.com's article. They are an informative site, but that article is 3 years old. Lemme go get my info that states the 185gr jhp from Remington doesn't expand. . . that's over 10 years old! :D

Derek

IMHO, the ability to switch from 357sig to 40S&W and back is one of the reasons to go with 40S&W/357sig instead of just 9mm. I have been known to do a bit of traveling and to me, ammo availability is very important. Sure, you can stock up and take it with you, but what is an anti-gun state's judge going to do with you? I know it isn't illegal to have your gun or ammo in the trunk of your vehicle, but look at how our rights are already violated. I usually just pack one box of ammo and buy any extra when I get to where I am going.

You don't have to be as careful with either of them with the gauging as you do with 9mm, there's no taper to the sides... .357 sig is a bit more of a pain in this sense than .40, but it also feeds REALLY well.

I had a SIG 357 barell for my SIG 229 but I sold it. Too loud, too much recoil and the ammo is way too expensive.
Keep it simple:
The 9mm for competition and recreational shooting and the 45ACP for carry and home protection.

Back