Is there any data for Winch Staball 6.5 and .223 55-grain bullets?

IMtheNRA

The published .223 Rem loads that I found used nothing lighter than 77 grain bullets. I'm wondering if you encountered anything lighter, specifically 55 and 69 grain bullets. If so, please share the data here.

If you deviated from published data and found a suitable load on your own, it'll be interesting to read about that as well.

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

No such loads that I'm aware of. StabBall 6.5 is barely fast enough to run reasonably with the 77, and even that takes a compressed load to get to maximum. The 55 and 69 will be worse. In the interior ballistics programs, 100% case fill only gets the 69 to about 44 kpsi and the 55 is below 40 kpsi and the velocity of the 55 is expected to be about 2850 fps, which is pretty substandard for that bullet in the 223 Rem. Just getting to 50 kpsi with the 55 took 30 grains, heavily compressed, and the velocity was still less than 3100 fps, which you could equal with just 20 grains of IMR 4198.

The bottom line is this powder is just a poor choice for those lower bullet weights.

Back