Is there any .357mag revolver that wont fire .38spcl?

MadScientist

Wife and I might go shooting with another couple who have a home defense .357 but don't practice with it b/c they're a little afraid of it (i.e. kicks too much). I was going to suggest shooting .38s out of it but wanted to ask here if there are any .357's that you shouldn't do this with.

I cannot think of any way that would be a problem. Extensive use of 38s in a 357 may leave a mark inside of the cylinder chambers that could make inserting the longer 357 rounds a theoretical problem. I wouldn't worry about it. Watch-Six

Just bring a cleaning brush and swab out the cylinder when your done or after a box of rounds to keep the buildup down

Or just load the cylinder with fired mag brass, eject and your ready to go. The fired hulls scrape the excess crud out.

Sam

It is not possible by history and specification. The .357 magnum started as a hot loaded .38 special. The brass was lengthened when the .357 magnum became a factory loading, to prevent usage in the .38 special revolvers, which might not be able to take the pressures. The diameter' of the bullet was not changed.

It is different for semiautos like a Coonan or Desert Eagle. A .357 magnum lever action might also have trouble feeding the the .38 special correctly.

As mentioned, after use with .38 specials, make sure to clean the chambers thoroughly to prevent sticking.

Back