Is there a National database, where I can run Serial# of a gun?

kristop64089

A guy owed me money for items purchased.(stove and microwave)
He has failed to pay. I have had "his" gun for 5 mos. I had to detail strip and clean it, and he forgot about it(as did I)

It's a Interarms Rossi M68. It's pretty nice. It's also worth thae Balance owed(give or take a few bucks)

My question is, I don't know the guy well enough, or where he got it. Can I run the numbers somehow, without repercussion to me? If it has stigma attatched to it, I don't want it...or am I SOL?

Any tips would help, Thanks

People have fought hard to not let the government keep a database on guns and who owns them.

So as far as I know, the answer is no.

Take it to any gun shop and have them check it. They can run it and see if it has ever been reported stolen or involved in a crime.

Keep in mind that if it has they will confiscate it.

If the owner is willing to trade you the firearm for the stove and microwave, have him make up a bill of sale and sign it. This protects both of you. Depending on the laws of your state, you may have to go through an FFL or register it to your name afterward.

BTW, there is no federal serial number database - that they'll admit to anyway.
attachment.php

Attachments

• tin-foil-hat.jpg
    tin-foil-hat.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 141
this is all as I have figured.
The Guy is a good guy, But that's where it ends. I don't know, or care enough to trust him...I am a bit neurotic tho.

I trade FTF all the time, with nothing more than a paper(reciept) exchange.

I have been given no reason to worry, but, Karma has really been kickin my ass lately!:mad:

Back