Is there a 'best' way to remove cosmoline?

oweno

Hi all,

I just bought one of those surplus Bulgarian Makarovs and while the exterior of the pistol was pretty well wiped clean, the interior is still full of cosmoline.

Searching the web for the best way to remove the stuff, I've found the following:

Field strip, remove grips, then...

1. Soak in CLP Breakfree, wipe, repeat. Use toothbrushes, toothpicks, Q-tips, etc.

2. Soak in Coleman's lantern fuel - the cosmo dissolves and the fuel does not leave a smell.

3. Soak in mineral spirits.

4. Blast the stuff out with CRC Brakeclean.

5. Boil in water to which has been added a few ounces of heavy-duty detergent - Mr. Clean, etc. Rinse with clean water.

All, of course, say lubricate well after cleaning.

Any and all comments/suggestions, etc. will be appreciated...

regards,

Owen

Lots and lots and lots of elbow grease.

I usually strip the gun and let it soak in either mineral spirits or Ed's Red Bore cleaner. You can do this with Hoppe's #9 or any other decent solvent cleaner. I do not recommend the boiling water routine. Hot water + steel = rust in places you can't see.

If I remember something read correctly, the US military used boiling water or steam to remove it. Dunk the pistol in a vat of boiling soapy water, the Cosmoline will melt out, remove the pistol, shake it off to remove most of the water and the rest will evaporate due to the heat of the metal.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Thanks everybody for the advice. I ended up soaking the parts in mineral spirits for a couple of hours in the hot sun, followed by a blast of brake clean and even then I needed to pick out some of the really hardened gunk with toothpicks.

I then gave everything a good coat of spray Remington gun oil, wiped off the excess, and re-assembled.

Came out great.

Thanks again all....

Owen

Back