is there a .308 AR-15?

Yes Armalite makes an AR-10 which is a .308 semi auto gas operated rifle. It fuctions/looks very similar to an AR-15 but has no foward assist. I've never shot one but have read they are fine firearm. I'm sure someone can elaborate more.

Hiker

does AR-10 use blow-back mechanism (what AR-15 does) to eject the brass? or it functions more like an AR-18 (piston operated to eject the brass).

The Armalite AR-10 is a sweet semi-auto .308. But the model that's even sweeter is the AR-10T (target) which is similar in configuration to the Colts CAR-15 H-Bar Elite, except in .308. This version has the slab top receiver to except your favorite sighting optics and has a heavy s.s. 24" barrel. It comes with 2-10 rd. mags, but you can get 20 rd mags from Armalite for it at about $60 each.

The Armalite AR-10 goes for about $1,200.00 and the AR-10T goes for around $1,400.

SR-25... good rifle. very expensive.

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

The only problem I have with the .308 versions of the AR series is the magazines or the lack thereof.

If I were looking for a semi-automatic rifle in .308, I would go for an FAL or M1A as 20 round magazines can still be had for a reasonable price.

10-4 ON THAT!
The L1A1 is a very under rated rifle. Yet it slams big fat 308 slugs through bulls eyes at 200 yards with no sweat for under 200 dollars the last time I saw one on a rack. Now the price is I am sure highter... but nonetheless a good deal.

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Kodiac: It doesn't appear that you've looked at the prices of FALs recently. They're in the $1000 (+- $400, depending). The big plus is that parts and accesories are all over the place and relatively cheap (20rnd mags at $7).

Owning a ar10t I found that while looking the least I could find one was for $1875, from We Are Guns in Norton, Mass. Rich Feinberg. Magazines are goig to run another 45/each if you can find one, then another $16 to get the magazine conversions from Armalite. Then you need to do a little Dremel work to make the magazine catch work and also the bolt stop. Yes at 200 yds it is not hard to put (on calm day, no sun) rounds on top of each other. (leupold-lps helps).I have only used moly rounds in it and have followed religiously the "break-in" proceedure.(pain in the ass)

Back