Is the Winchester 1885 low wall still in production ?

WIN1886

I've been trying to find a new one and every gunshop I've gone to has told me sorry or good luck ! :confused: I see them still listed in the latest Winchester catalog.....what's up ?

Last edited:
Call Winchester directly and ask who has one in the caliber you want... give them the actual "item number"... like 534161210 for example is a 22-250.
They make them in very small lots, so they aren't just laying around on distributor shelves.

As you've heard before... good luck,
C

The distributor 'Lipseys' lists most of the calibers, but unlike most distributors that show them online, they don't say if they have them in stock or not... so if you haven't contacted Lipseys yet, give 'em a try.

Also, there are currently 15 1885 low walls listed on gunbroker, including some NIB 22-250 and .223.

C

FWIW, there haven't ben any REAL Winchester 1885 Low Wall's made for many, many years.

Any "new" 1885's seen are ALL clones - even the ones stamped "Winchester".
The new "Winchester 1885 Low Walls", made in Japan by Miroku, differ from the Uberti's made in Italy only in country of origin and workmanship.

IMHO, "Winchester's" become just another American company, that's moved US jobs overseas.

Any "new" 1885's seen are ALL clones - even the ones stamped "Winchester".
The new "Winchester 1885 Low Walls", made in Japan by Miroku, differ from the Uberti's made in Italy only in country of origin and workmanship.
The Uberti and Chiappa High Walls and Low Walls are closer to the original Winchesters than current production sold under the Winchester name. Different internals altogether on the Winchesters, it's just the outside that looks like a Low Wall.
IMHO, "Winchester's" become just another American company, that's moved US jobs overseas.
I agree with that general sentiment, other than the fact that Winchester is not an American company any more.

True, buyers need to be aware that Winchester is nothing more than a trademark now. Olin owns the rights to use of Winchester for ammo, and the Herstal Group (FN & Browning) own the rights to Winchester Repeating Arms (with Miroku of Japan making the Winchester Repeating Arms clones).

Thanks for sharing the info on current Winchester products. I think its also true that the 1885 low wall as it was originally designed would not hold up to the pressures of cartridges such as the 243 Winchester or 22-250 Remington that the Winchester named modern clone made by Miroku has the ability to do ! I like the looks of it even if it doesn't fit the true nostalgia of an original......this has more to do if the rifle is an accurate shooter , has a good trigger , and is built with quality ! I'm looking at other options but wouldn't mind seeing a review on this rifle as well !

Last edited:
I shoot the Browning (Miroku) "Highwall" BPCR with American Badger barrel. I could not ask for a better rifle for the purpose.

Dan T has done a lot of experimenting with chambers and bullets. His usual testbed is a Browning "Lowwall" in some odd caliber bought cheap and rebarrelled to an unusual BP round. Hard to argue with his results.

A friend has one of the earlier Browning B78s which is a fine accurate 6mm.

I think its also true that the 1885 low wall as it was originally designed would not hold up to the pressures of cartridges such as the 243 Winchester or 22-250 Remington that the Winchester named modern clone made by Miroku has the ability to do !

That's not true, an original WRA low wall will take the pressure, especially the winders and newer ones. If it fits the barrel shank, there are 2 sizes on LW's, it can shoot it with no real trouble. I wouldn't use an old BP barrel for it though, only a nickel steel barrel.

Interesting , I read the original 1885 low wall built till 1920 should not use cartridges that exceed pressures of 45000 psi.....apparently , the low wall was not as strong as the high wall due to thinner sidewalls and the receiver lowered in the rear to help manually extract small cased cartridges !

Last edited:
If you are looking for a shooter go with a Remington model 700 bolt action. I have a 15 year old one in 22-250 and it shoots 5 shot 3/8" groups at 100 yards. The rifle MAY be able to do better than that, but I sure can't.

The Bishop

Back