Is the SP101 the most durable Snub known to mankind?

Will Beararms

Forgive me but when it comes to concealed carry I just can't feel warm and fuzzy with a semi-auto. My trusted confidant was, don't laugh, a Bukgarian Mak. I gave it to my Dad. Though his Shotgun and Rifle inventory is extensive, the only handgun he has was a Ruger 22/45----------------not a bad choice but I wanted him to have more power.

Now here I am and having had prior affairs with Sigs and Glocks that I did become infatuated with, I still long for the dependability of a snub and speed strips.

Input is appreciated and needed.

I love revolvers also. Rugar does make a heavy frame revolver. I'm not sure how much more rugged the lockwork is over Smith or other revolvers though. I guess that's subjective.
I like revolvers for numerous reasons, some being the simplicity of them and what I feel the inherent safety of them. There are those who would argue, and maybe rightfully so, that semi auto is just as safe. I find it easy for me just to swing the cylinder open and check for rounds. The long double action trigger pull is one of the revolver's safety mechanism. After every shot the revolver returns to safe mode of operation. Accidental discharge on a revolver is VERY rare indeed. I own several pistols, and I perfer them over revolvers when I take a gun to the range. Pistols (semi auto's) are just plain fun to shoot. Each type gun has it place. I certainly don't mean to get into the old revolver vs semi automatic wars, just stating my humble opinon.:)

Will,

I grew up on revolver's, switching to semi-auto's later
on in life. Dating back to my early Ruger day's, I owned
a couple of Security-Six'es in .357 magnum. One was
blue; the other stainless, both with 4" barrels. The
stainless one came with a set of Pachmayr grip's on
it. Both of these gun's were very accurate and reliable.
I never had a minute's problem with either of them;
just when I had a brain fart I traded them off for
something else. I can only say, that the SP-101
is built like a Sherman tank; if you can't hit 'em
with a cylinder full of hot lead, you can steam
roll 'em up side the noggin.:cool: :) :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Yes-

The lock-work is massive and so is the frame. There is one area I'm hoping sombody on the board can clear up. I've heard two credible reports of " cracked barrels" and belive the people are talking about forcing cone cracks like those reported on Smith 19/66's and a few of the stainless security sixes.

There are several explainations generally put forth for this type of problem. One is that the barrel is over torqued on installation. This doesn't make much sense as the forcing cone where the crack occurs is not subjected to torque

Another is "Bad Metal"

Another is that the popular 125 JHP full loadings are just too much for the guns.
Does anybody have the inside story on this?

Hey Will,

I sleep, eat, and breath Sig-Sauer semi-auto's. Beside's
women, they are the best thing that has happened to
man.:D Now, 'em Taurus revolver's is something else;
but, our friend Tamara has invited me too stop by her
gunshop and try out a Tauri in .32 H&R magnum.:cool:
She believes these demo's are as slick as any Smith?
I will be crusing through the gunshop, on my way to
The University Of Tennessee's annual orange and white
game this spring.:) So, I will report back a little later.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

GP100 ???

I believe the SP101 is an outstanding revolver, so this post is not a "knock". Some folks define "snub" as a revolver with three-inch (or less) barrel length. If you accept that definition, than I'd have to award the "most durable snubbie" prize to three inch GP100s.

Obviously, the SP101 is extremely durable and reliable, with the GP100s being even more durable. Also obviously, the SP101 is easier to conceal, while the GP100s provide an extra chambered round.

Both are terrific, but I would have to say the GP100 is even tougher than the SP101 -- and that is saying a great deal.

I would say they are as strong or stronger than a k-frame smith.

I've shot some stout(not stupid) handloads in mine that would turn some of those lightweights into junk. They've also got long enough cylinders to handle 180gr loads if you need them to.(Unless you've got a very early one.)

Smoothest trigger? No
Most durable? By a long shot.

RWK, the gp100 is substantially stronger than the sp101, but I don't belive most people would consider it a true snubbie.

Not knocking your post, as I own both, and would give up niether.

Back