Is The Sig SB15 Brace In Jeopardy For AR15 Pistols?

I told people about the sig brace being trouble waiting to happen. I made comments on it on forums and all I got back was" no the ATF won't make it illegal, they're our friends.":rolleyes:

Apples and oranges. A whole lot of hype over nothing. The SIG brace isn't going away. Laws regulating shotguns, pistols, and "firearms" are very different (and largely nonsensical).

The ATF defines a pistol as a firearm intended to be operated with one hand. But practically everyone shoots them with two hands. Does that mean they are breaking the law? No. Because it has been determined that there is no illegal way to shoot a pistol.

An AR pistol with a brace is still a pistol (and not a shotgun or anything else). There is no illegal way to shoot it.

And why would the ATF even bother to change their mind on this? Imagine the headaches it would cause. Would they be expected to police every range in America to make sure no one was shooting their Glock with a Weaver stance? That would be a joke.

Heck, I'm sure they are probably pleased with the fact that the SB15 likely cuts down on SBR-filing paperwork for them.

Last edited:
I told people about the sig brace being trouble waiting to happen. I made comments on it on forums and all I got back was" no the ATF won't make it illegal, they're our friends.":rolleyes:

Because you were wrong.

As stated, Sig Brace isn't going anywhere. It's use on a shotgun AOW is much different than a pistol.

No shotguns are considered to be pistols.

The comparison means nothing. It's just more internet hyperbole by people who don't research what they're trying to talk about. :rolleyes:

It's just more internet hyperbole by people who don't research what they're trying to talk about.

That's kind of what I thought when I read the snippet and the comments. The two issues (shotgun vs AR pistol) seemed quite a ways apart.

As stated, Sig Brace isn't going anywhere. It's use on a shotgun AOW is much different than a pistol.

No shotguns are considered to be pistols.
This is absolutely correct. The author of that "article" doesn't have a clue (if he did, he wouldn't have opened with "trouble in SBR paradise.").

The BATFE issued a letter clarifying this several months ago. In the case of an actual pistol, they found:

(...) the firing of a weapon from a particular position, such as placing the receiver extension of an AR-15 type pistol on the user’s shoulder, does not change the classification of a weapon. Further, certain firearm accessories such as the SIG stability brace have not been classified by the FTB as shoulder stocks and, therefore, using the brace improperly does not constitute a design change. Using an accessory improperly would not change the classification of a weapon under Federal law.

The doofus sticking these things on shotguns is either incompetent or he's trying to poke the bear. However, this recent ruling has nothing to do with AR-15 pistols.

Here's the product in question. He claims it's an "ATF legal" 8.5" barrel shotgun.

I'm not sure where he's getting his information, but it seems he thinks it's OK to have a short barrel if he calls it a pistol. That's not the case.

I think the concern of spillover from this to the AR pistol is in the BATF letter stating that shouldering this would make it illegal.

That is a reversal of the previous opinion that the way you shoot a firearm does not change its classification.

Back