Is the shortage abating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdoc42

This might be an inappropriate place for this post but the admonition that such information should be placed in "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc." has been closed for several years.

In the midst of the pandemic, I ordered bullets from The Missouri Bullet Company and Precision Delta (Mississippi). It took a few months to finally have the order completed and received.

On November 1 (Sunday) at 6:30Pm I ordered 1000 .45 APC 230gr FMJ from Precision Delta. The order arrived today - Nov 4 - at 3Pm.

Are we starting to turn the corner?

You must be psychic and have ESPN. I was thinking that same thought yesterday when out browsing for ammo. They actually had more than I wanted in a couple of calibers.
I haven’t had a problem buying ammo at regular prices locally or on line.

Txaz, I'm not psychic, nor do I have ESN, and I'm so glad because what I would foresee would drive me absolutely crazy these days.

Manufactured ammo in my area, as well as handloading items such as primers, bullets, and powder, are still difficult to find. I have a Cabela's store 8 miles away and the shelves - including guns - look like the toilet paper shelves when Covid first started.

Most of the online retailers are showing nearly everything as not available or out of stock with no back order. I suspect the assorted manufacturers are not working due to the Covid Panic. That's not going away any time soon.
Precision Delta probably had 'em in stock. Their site indicates all other weights and type of bullet are out of stock too.

According to Midsouth, components, particularly brass and primers, are all being used for loaded ammo to try to meet the demand from all the first-time gun owners the rioting created. According to Forbes Magazine, gun and ammo makers who upped their production capacity during the previous administration got burned when the current administration was elected and people stopped feeling threatened and stopped stockpiling and over-buying, and suddenly they were stuck with extra employees and equipment they could not keep busy. So, this time they are not doing anything to increase capacity, instead contracting out what they can and adding some overtime, but not ramping anything up in their own plants.

I'm thinking the last couple of days will induce panic.

Not long ago ,on the radio, It may have been in an interview with President Trump,but I don't recall,

It came up that a General of some sort advised President Trump "We are running out of ammo for our military"

Of course,the Pres took action,and he also said "Keep that quiet" for obvious reasons.

I don't know the time frame this occurred. But at least some empty shelves may have to do with restocking the military.

I've also noticed the once fired brass suppliers are short on inventory,mostly "out of stock" and what they do have is about 2 1/2 times the price of a year or two ago.

A friend found some 115gr FMJ rounds in 9mm at an Army/Navy store for $50 for 50 rounds. When he questioned the price, he was told: Take it or leave it." I'd say that lad needs to go to customer retaining training.

Just looked on ammoseek and it looks like you can find darn near any common handgun or rifle ammo pretty easy at this moment at least. Prices looked high to me but I have not bought any loaded ammo in years now so I have no idea what the prices were last January before the SHTF. For example I saw .223 with brass case for 60 cents each. A few years back I picked up some bulk AR fodder when I did not feel like setting the progressive up and I think it was more like $75 for 250 of the bulk stuff

I just bought another 140 rounds of .308 match and 50 rounds of .44 Mag at ~ 10% off (prior normal retail) both.

There are deals out there for .22 and 9mm also, you just have to look.

I've thought about this. I have primers that I paid $10/1000. I had enough to hold me until they climbed to $30 or so. Now they're approaching $36-39 - IF you can find them.
Is anyone willing to pay what I anticipate will be $50/1000 when the manufacturers switch from loaded ammo demand? Are we willing to grab them up before they go even higher? Or are we, based on age and aggravation, going to say, "Screw it!", I might as well buy pre-made ammo. Which will silently erase the significance of the handloading crowd visa-vis the 2nd Amendment?

well from the long range rifle shooters viewpoint I doubt many of my freinds will be using store bought ammo. It is simply not accurate enough. This is a expensive hobby, you need to have a fair amount of disposable income. My wife has came to the conclusion that while competitive shooting may be less expensive of a hobby than boating, golf would have been a bargain in comparison

Hounddawg, I agree that disposable income is a prerequisite to continuing participation in any hobby. Although this may be an inappropriate location to discuss, what troubles me is the potential for those in power to tax the components of handloading, as well as manufactured ammo, which slowly but surely reduces the enthusiasm for a large majority of shooters. Over time, the offspring of our shooters will lose their attraction as well and gun control will be one step closer to success.

Here in California, politicians has made lead sound as toxic as radioactive material. As old as most of are here, a lot of lead was around us when we were young and we are okay.

Liberals have successfully closed 2 outdoor ranges and 1 indoor range within a 50 mile radius of me. Doing so killed two clubs and kills the sport. They know it and will continue, I'm sure.

I'm not wealthy but I buy what components I can. Plus, took up casting so I could use my money to buy jacketed bullets, powders and primers.

Most of you don't have this but CA until recently required you to show id when buying ammo. So, as your id is run through their system (costs you$), it gets recorded and they have a guess that you own a gun and what kind. .223? Most likely an AR15. 7.62x39? SKS or the banned AK47 or SKS with detachable magazine.

We are in the Reloading discussion area, not Law & Civil rights. Please stay on topic about reloading or this thread will have to be closed.

Local sporting goods store today had CCI #500 Small pistol primers in stock, 4 cents a piece limit 2 boxes, had the wife buy a couple so ended up with 400 primers-better than nothing. Also picked up some Berry’s 124gr 9mm FMJ & a couple pounds of CFE Pistol while the wife was buying herself a new pistol. Was good to see some SPP again.

cdoc42 said:
I've thought about this. I have primers that I paid $10/1000. I had enough to hold me until they climbed to $30 or so. Now they're approaching $36-39 - IF you can find them.
Is anyone willing to pay what I anticipate will be $50/1000 when the manufacturers switch from loaded ammo demand? Are we willing to grab them up before they go even higher? Or are we, based on age and aggravation, going to say, "Screw it!", I might as well buy pre-made ammo. Which will silently erase the significance of the handloading crowd visa-vis the 2nd Amendment?

$50 / per thousand ?? Here's what many people are willing to pay to shoot. (and this is just the beginning)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883230632

And check out this tool's auction (it's obviously loaded with shill bidding)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883230479

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back