Is the S&W 19/66 still a valid choice?

martin6

It's big, it's heavy, you can't conceal it, there is other stuff out there that seems more high tech and practical, but, for some reason I am attracted to this gun. Why? What merit does it have compared to what's now available in the moder semi-auto/revolver market? Why should I buy/not buy this gun?

Quite simply the K frame .357 S&W particularly the model 19 is the finest general purpose can only ever own one handgun in the whole wide world. Having said that I will still stick with my Rugers just so my buddies can't rub it in. Buy one, heck buy two.

Can't conceal it?

My roomie totes his 4" RB Model 19 IWB in a Bianchi Pistol Pocket occasionally. :confused:

Greeting's martin6,

The time tested and proven Smith & Wesson model 19,
and it's stainless counterpart the model 66 are truly
"classic" revolver's. You said, "It's big and it's heavy"
as compared to some of the more popular semi-auto's
currently on the market. While this is true, most .357
magnum revolver's need the extra weight; in order to
tame the recoil of the hot 125 grain JHP's. After it's
introduction by Smith & Wesson, just about every
LEO desired to carry the model 19 as a duty weapon;
apparently due to it's light weight and ease of operation.
I don't know the extact number's; but with a 4" barrel
model 19 weighing in at 35 ozs., there is a considerable
difference between it and say a model 27and/or 28.

Did I mention that the model 19 is out of production?
Yes, you can bank on it; as the L-frame model 586/686
replaced it. However, one can still find S&W model 66's;
cuz I know a fellow that just had his favorite shop to
order one of the 2.5" barrel versions from a distributor.
With all that said, I would not hesitate to purchase a
Smith & Wesson model 19; if that is indeed what I
wanted.

Regards,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

The 19/66 is a true classic in every sense of the word. I have a 3 inch 66-2 that conceals just fine in an Alessi Hideout.
Ronin

It conceals just fine in the right holster. I use a Bianchi #3S Pistol Pocket, or a Galco Speedmaster high ride holster, and the Model 19 (even with its 4" barrel) actually conceals better than all of my semi-auto pistols. The grip and frame design on a revolver makes the grip ride much higher than the one on an autoloader, so it's a lot harder to make it print.

The Model 19 with the 4" barrel is quite possibly the best general purpose handgun ever designed, like Scarborough said. They point and balance like nothing else, they hide well as CCW guns, and they offer the whole range of power from .38 Special wadcutters to stomping .357 Magnum defense HPs. This is the gun that I'd keep if I could only have one....it's a competent choice for a great variety of handgun tasks.

Ala Dan,

I'm not an S&W expert & forgive me if this sounds picky but I don't think the 586/686 "replaced" the 19/66. S&W just dropped the 19 (blue) but continue to produce the 66 (stainless) in 2.5", 4" and 6" barrels and recently came out with a 66 with a 3" barrel with the high viz sight.
I was not even aware they dropped the 19 until recently, a lot of times in their catalogs a few years ago they just listed it as the 19/66 and just showed a picture of the stainless 66 & not the 19, to save space I guess. I never noticed in their newer catalogs / website that the 19 was dropped.

Always has been, always will be.

"It's big, it's heavy, you can't conceal it..."

Say what?

I frequently carry either a 2.5" or a 4" (I have both) in shoulder holsters, and the 2.5" in a belt holster.

Both conceal very nicely, and aren't any heavier than a lot of other guns that are carried every day.

I can't carry the 2.5" right now, though, as I had to leave it with my parents when I was up at Christmas as they needed a good house gun for awhile.

The 686 and 66 are different guns on two different frame sizes (the 66 is on a smaller frame). However, they are almost identical on internals. Very smooth triggers, very simple to work on. Both are the finest revolver designs I believe exist today and I wouldn't sell mine for any price. Solid, dependable, smooth, and deadly accurate.

I am a auto fan and consider revolvers for serious self defence a less than good choice. However one of the best men I know says he still likes his 19 and shot his best with that. Today he carries a Glock 35 however.
PAT

I have a 66 that Pachmyer (never can spell that) customized for me years ago. Bobbed hammer, action like glass, half moon cut away trigger gaurd and a ton of other nice to haves. They called it the UnderCover Carry I think.

It's a great gun! And I have carried it for the last 10 years or so in an in the pants Alessi with no problem.

It's a great classic all around gun. There are other maybe better options out there now. However, it still holds it's own!

The arguement between revolvers and autos will always be out there. I saw some very disturbing footage years ago of a cop pulling the trigger on his Beretta franticly, he had the drop on the bad guy. However, in his panic he didn't take the safety off and the Beretta's trigger was just going through the motions. The officer died. Not to condem anything. Just one for instance.

I just feel better with a wheelgun in most cases. Go with whatever blows your hair back.

Besides, it's much smaller than my beloved Glock 20

:D

alamo,

You are so right, partner. Bad choice of words on my part.
But, you know what? My dealer doesn't even stock the
S&W model 66 in any barrel length; but he can get them
on special order.

Was reading a previous post by our S&W expert, Mr. Mike
Irwin regarding the S&W 686's in various barrel length's.
Reading between the line's, I interupted him to say he
wasn't sure if S&W is still producing the 6" barrel 686's.
Can you please comment on that?

Best Wishes,

I bought a used 4 inch 66-2 for my wife as a bedside gun. I routinely carry this gun concealed on my right hip, and thats here in florida where the temp can get pretty far north. I have an easier time concealing this gun than most others I have tried. I also carry a glock 22 with regularity. Concealment is not all about size of gun, with these large guns I dont feel uncomfortable at all, and as for the extra weight; I would rather have a little extra weight and alot more power than a 32, 38, or 380. I find the 66 to be much slimmer and lighter than most other comparably sized revos.

But hey thats just me....

martin6 . . .

"YOU CAN'T CONCEAL IT" -- nonsense. I routinely conceal four-inch barrel revolvers and, under a light winter coat, five-inch 627 "N" frames. The right belt and the right holster are necessary, but concealment of "full size" revolvers is absolutely feasible.

2½" round butt 19 in pocket holster as I write.

19s and 586s great guns. Owned 686s and won't again.

Concealability is up to the wearer. I also have a pocket 29.:D

Sam

Not only is it a "valid" choice but it is an excellent choice as well. With a 3.25" barrel it makes a sweet shooting weapon. My wife is quite happy with her newly purchased M66:

24880250sxHLqOcXLS_ph.jpg

Ala Dan,

All I really know is what is on their website & what I see at local gun shops. They still show the 686 with the 6" barrel on their website & the 2001 catalog (don't think the 2002 is out yet) and I saw one at a gun shop recently.

Might ask at the S&W forum, they would know.

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com

Thanks for the response alamo. I was just a little
curious; as I already own a 6" S&W model 686.

Best Wishes,

I think the model 19 will always be in style. I have carried one for many years. The man I bought it from carried it even longer as his service revolver. Accurate, reliable, and comfortable to carry. I use a holster from Tactical Leather, and it rides just behind the point of my right hip all day, with no discomfort. I like the Speer 158 grain Gold Dots right now in it. I carry HydroShock 158 grain also. It has MepPro sights, Pachmyer grips, and a really good action job done by Robert Wilson of Wizard's Custom Guns.

Back