Is the Norinco Makarov a Collectible?

VictorLouis

Or, is it just a shooter? I saw a used one today with a very nice satin blue finish in excellent shape. It did have the rust colored bakelite grips, but the bore did not appear to be chromed. I would only want it for resale, if there is any interest in them. The Bulgies are cheaper, ANIB, well-built and great shooters.

I dont think it will be collectible for a long time. I would shoot it, and enjoy it, but then again I am not into collecting guns just to have them. I want to have fun with them. If i just wanted to look, a museum would be a lot cheaper.

I disagree. With all the excitement over Maks lately, the supply is being scooped up quickly. Just think of all the people here that own a half-dozen of them. Many want at least one Norinco version to round out the collection.

Do I think you will get rich selling it in 5 years? NO
But I do think that the value will probably at least double, maybe triple in the next 5-10 years.
Just my opinion.

Speaking of collecting the Norinco mak, I also need one to round off my EG, Russian and Bulgarian collection. Anyone know where one can be found? I've checked the Houston gun shows, but to no avail.

There are a lot of people who collect Maks, I'm one of them. If you spend any time over at Makarov.com you'll run into plenty. I don't collect for profit, just for the fun of it. I presently own 12 Maks, including two Norinco Model 59's. One is a "ZZ" prefix serial no., and the other is a factory '56' model with a Bxxxxx serial number, both of which are commercial pistols made for export. I've heard reports of a factory '66' model which is supposedly a military version of the Model 59. I'm always on the lookout for one of those babies, but so far I haven't run into anyone that has one. If the one you saw has a number '66' in a triangle on the frame, I'd be very interested in buying it.

Back