Is the Mini14 really that bad?

Shin-Tao

There's a whole lot of trash talking of the Mini14 going on. I don't own one, but I am thinking of getting one.
Is it really that terrible? I would like to hear the experiances of Mini14 owners, please.

I'm thinking of getting a custom Mini which promises to shoot 1 MOA for under $900. Is there any reason I should not? The gunsmith is competent, the gun is cool, and the price is right.

I owned a Ranch model at one time, traded it for a Glock 22 (got more on the trade than I paid for the rifle), but anyway. It shot ok. Aftermarket mags sucked. Barrel got to hot for my liking. And I didn't care for the way the rifle had to be cleaned, I don't like cleaning from the muzzle. I just picked up an AK clone, I know it is nt going to be a 1 MOA, but the AK was not meant to perform like that. One plus for the Mini's is that they are like tanks.

If I could do it over again I would stick with 7.62mm only. But as I have bought a mini years ago I still own one as do about 4 other friends of mine. Always seemed to perform adequately, barrels are a little light but this is a carbine not full sized rifle, you could always put the heavy barrel on it to stiffen it. Search here for mag problems and brands that work fairly well (pmi). Good luck

The Mini14 is a fine plinker. It is not a target rifle and despite the aftermarket doo dads available, is not a combat rifle. Minimally it needs a heavier barrel and a sturdier rear sight.

Personally, I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be here. Perhaps the reason why the Mini gets so much flak is because this forum no doubt harbors many rifle connoiseurs, whose standards are much more demanding than what the stock Mini offers. Also, the Mini is supposed to be a scaled down version of the M14, so there is an understandable amount of comparison between the two. Unfortunately, the Mini does not share the same level of standard or reputation its bigger brother enjoys.

Ultimately, just about every rifle I've come across has its pros and cons. The Mini is no exception. Quite simply, you get what you paid for.

$.02

Md DOC switched to Mini 14s around 1980. We had several of the first ones' receivers crack, luckily w/o injury. Replacements worked OK, till they got hot. Groups got to be washtub sized after 60 rds or so. Relatively good Tower weapons.

Other than that, no big problems. Most of the folks I know with 5.56s have AR type weapons. There may be a lesson there.

I just sold my factory folder mini 14 after owning it for 14 years. I am probably going to miss it but it was not accurate enough for me and most of my high cap mags sucked (except for the factory 20rnd). But I put the money from the sale to good use and bought a brand new M1A loaded from Springfield. I will get over it but maybe in the future I'll buy another one but have it customized.

------------------
I AM NOT NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones w/an accurate mini. Mine's SS, w/the military style rear sight. In the factory wood stock, it held 3/4-1" w/Win. SP loads; 1-1.5" w/Amer. Eagle HP's. That was benched, using the sights, on my BEST day, with perfect weather, w/time to cool between groups. Since then, I've dropped it into a Butler Creek "Lady's" stock, and the groups have opened up about an inch. With a scope, they're back in the same neighborhood.

Mags can be a prob, but a little trial and error will work out. I didn't buy a match, target rifle. I bought a defensive carbine, that's dead-on RELIABLE, with reliability being its main asset. Did I mention that it's reliable? You catch my drift. :)

If Ruger had cranked out (had others crank out) factory hi-caps instead limiting hi-caps prior to the '94 ban, then it would be a lot better rifle. If you are stuck with a 5rd mag, buy a bolt gun.

My experiance is that most are OK for accuracry, very few great, very few bad. Ruger will fix the bad ones.

If Ruger made a ten round mag, I'd have a Mini-14.

Giz

I had a Mini stainless ranch with laminated stock. Worst rifle I ever owned. I gave it to a friend, for his 12-yr-old son to plink with. I would have been embarassed to ask $$ for such a piece of plumbing.

I've had a standard mini (stainless)for about 10 years. With go mags is is very reliable. 3moa is about average bots of shooting (heating up the barrel) will open that up some.I had the barrel cut back and had an Eagle flash supressor/front sight assembly permanently installed so that it has an OAL of 16 1/2". I handles great now and is good enough to engage targets out to 200 yds. Great little rifle as long as you realize it's limitations.

I'm not a rifle guy, but I can tell you what I saw. I had a Mini 14 purchased in 1976. Have no idea how it grouped beyond "minute of feral dog's ribcage." Sold it many years ago. I was at a LE rifle class a couple of years back. Everyone had AR type guns except 3 deputies from a nearby agency with Mini 14 W/3 shot burst selectors. Each day, we would check zero on the gun. The AR's seldom needed much change, even with wind and light variations. The Rugers? Well, sometimes they would not zero because the rear sight would not adjust enough to bring them to dead on, necessitating Kentucky windage. Each night, everybody cleaned their guns. Next morning, check zero. Again, no adjustments on AR's, but I saw the Ruger's points of impact shift from two to EIGHT inches, just from disassembly and cleaning. This was all 100 yard, prone, loop sling shooting. The instructor, who has taught lots of classes, said this is common for the Mini 14's and will not own one.

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7

It apears as though the Mini14s point for existing is reliability.
Does anyone know wich aftermarket mags are reliable in the 14?

Green Top Sporting Goods had several there in Stainless and Blued - Scoped and Iron Sighted, from 200 to 500 dollars.
Check them out when you get a chance.
Also ask around and take a look at the M96 Expiditionary rifle. You will like it a great deal. Yeah - its more spendy - but I think you will find it worth every penny.

Shin-Tao

PMI mags have worked flawlessly for me. (I have 3 mini's.) At the last gun show I went to, the 30 rounders were $40 for the blue and $50 for the SS. That was the first of January. Maybe with Y2K over they will be cheaper. The other brands I have bought have been hit and miss.

Halffast

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales

I had a Ranch rifle back in 1983. Yes, this one was really that bad! The barrel got too hot after about five shots, and I always seemed to want to grab it there for some reason or other :eek:! Groups were awful, and the recoil does not allow most low-end scopes to hold zero.

Erik--don't spend that much on even an accurized Mini-14. Put that towards an AR-15 and you will be way happier for performance and accessories!

Remember, the weenie 14 is the gun the "A-Team" used on TV, and they never hit anybody. I've been waiting to use that line a long time!

Back