Is the M1A a good .308 rifle to get?

Sea Bass

Hi everybody,

Next rifle purchase will be in .308 caliber.
Any opionions on the Springfield M1A and the Bush variant?

No comment on the Bush varient, but I have a M1A that was purchased about 1992 - exceptional rifle. I have seen some of the newer ones, and the fit/finish is not nearly the same, but I believe that the quality is still there. It is an essential in my collection.

[This message has been edited by ONewman (edited December 11, 1999).]

I didn't know that M1A-A1 "bush rifle" was still available.
I've had one ~10 years now. freakin thing shoots almost as good as my SuperMatch. Main difference is my SM is real finicky about what loads shoot well, my -A1 seems to shoot equally well with almost anything.
I always threatened to shoot a highpower match with it. I did shoot one whitetail with it.
Accuracy of mine may be abnormally good, I don't know. I do know I've passed up many opportunities to sell it.

I have often said that if I could only have one rifle it would be my M1A. It is a do anything rifle. Match shooting, hunting, recreational shooting, repel rampaging hordes, you name it. It is not the best for any specific task but it will do quite well on all. It corrects some of the few deficiencies of the Garand and retains all of its positive attributes. Last it is the last of the walnut and steel, possibly the best of the battle rifles.

If you think you might shoot match with it, get the standard barrel length for the added sight radius.
If you just want an all-around fun shooter get the -A1'Bush rifle' with a full stock.
Mine came with a nice walnut stock, but I picked up a fiberglass stock with spray textured finish and 6 round mag for hunting.
I also found one of the original walnut/steel 'paratrooper' folding stocks. looks cool, but bites like hell when shooting. Must have been a real terror in it's original full auto config. The more recent folders I saw were fiberglass and better, but still a pain to shoot.
Everbody likes shooting the M1As and my bush rifle is always a big hit at the range.

Kingcreek - you're experience with your SA being more finicky as opposed to your A1 is neither surprising nor unusual. The SuperMatch is a prima donna gun. She is spoiled and wants to be fed a special diet of ammo. No ordinary ammo will do but that special diet.

The A1 is is closer to mil-spec and can take a wider variety of cartridges. That's why the A1 is more consistent with all those different loads. The one precautionary thing about ammo is to ensure, whether it is for your Super Match or your A1 is that it is within MilSpec with regards to pressure and velocity. Too fast and you may have reliability (feeding) problems besides excessive wear on your gun. Too slow and you have reliability problems.

Enjoy.

4v50 Gary

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I bought my M1A about 12 years ago, while SA had a special promotional package available. The rifle came with a barrel stamped "NM", SA's version of a NM rear sight, leather sling, nice heavy duty shooting mat, excellent soft rifle case w/mag pouches, sight covers, cleaning kit, etc. I think I paid $750 for the package. I sent it off to have it glass bedded, re-crown the muzzle, square the rear face of the flash suppresor, and ream suppresor to NM specs. I used it to shoot our local club reduced 100yd DCM matches for years, loaded with cheap Rem 125gr PSP bulk bullets bought on sale from Midway for $60/1000. It was accurate enough to hold the 10 ring on the MR-31 target, and I always enjoyed shooting it. Now, after approx.5000 rounds and the years since it was bedded, the bedding has shrunk a little, and the barrel needs replaced. Even though I've gone to shooting custom AR Service Rifles across the course, the M1A is going to get the overhaul it deserves, just as soon as I can get the money together to send if to Champion's Choice for a new Douglas bbl. It's a hell of a rifle, and I wouldn't take twice what I paid for it.

I have a Super Match, a National Match and a standard M1A. Everytime at the range someone wants to try them out. I have never had anyone complain about them in any way. The M1A family is very accurate, easy on the shoulder and just plain fun to shoot. I would go with the standard M1A instead of the Bush gun, but I am a psuedo-collector of the M1A's.

The biggest problem I ever have is keeping enough ammo on hand.

I've got one of the "loaded" M1A's from Springfield, and it has been an exceptional firearm. I load inexpensive 147gr Winchester bullets for it, and it feeds them (and anything else I've run thru it) without fail. As others here have noted, this is a fun gun to shoot that everyone on the line likes to ogle and play with. I bought mine largely out of nostalgia for the M-14 I trained with in the service; it has delivered on every count. I would recommend the longer barrel and walnut stocks for aesthetic reasons.

I have a "Loaded" M1A and I love it. Black fiberglass stock, carbon steel barrel, with the 4-14X56 1st Generation Government Model Scope and the M2 Bipod, it always gets looks from others on the range.

Pete80...I did some shopping around and it's running around $1,300. The Scout model is around $1,450. Guys do this prices seem right???

Is the pope a catholic?

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Back