Is Taurus "ultralight" rated for +P ammo?

Starsfan

Hi ya'll.

I know this is kind of "after the fact", but I bought a Taurus Model 85 Ultralight on Saturday. I almost bought the Total Titanium model next to it because it had "+P" on the barrel shroud. The Ultralight does not. :(

I checked the Taurus web site, and it says that it's OK to shoot +P in this gun. Any of you out there shoot +P in your 85, or recommend against it?

Thanks, stars

If Taurus says it's ok, I would go ahead and do it. They have a lifetime warranty so why not? :)

Thanks PF!

I figured it would be OK to shoot a small diet of +P, I just don't want to damage the gun, and have to send it back to Taurus because I did the abusing! :(

Safe shootin' to ya'.

stars

Sounds like you got a cool gun. I have a question though.

I have a Total Titanium M85 38 snubbie, and mine doesn't say "+P" anywhere on the barrel shroud. Is this where you say you saw one with a "+P" stamped on it?

See below, and please pardon the dirt, the gun is dirtier than usual and will be cleaned up tomorrow. :)

mytaurusm85tibarrel.jpg

I've had an Ultralite for over a year. One of the reasons I bought this gun is because it was rated for "+P's". Also, the light weight makes it soooooo easy to carry.

Not a steady diet, mind you, but enough to keep proficient.

I suggest you put 200-300 rounds through it ASAP (not "+P's") to ensure reliability. There have beenseveral threads discussing light strikes resulting in misfires with this gun. Mine did...a trip back to the factory squared it away and now it's my primary carry piece.

Lightsped,

Dirt. Where? I don't see no stinkin' dirt! :) NICE revolver BTW. :cool:

Yep, the Total Titanium I looked at had the +P right below the ".38 Special" as in your photo. I started to buy it just for this reason, but I'd heard that the first Titanium guns had problems with barrel/cylinder gap. After checking the Taurus website, I learned that the Ultralight is also rated for +P ammo.

Ezeckial,

I've also read a LOT of posts about the Taurus .38's having light strike problems. But, I like the feel of the gun, and it's light weight, so I figured I'd take my chances. I plan on taking it to the range this weekend and putting at least 100 rounds through it. How long did it take to get your gun repaired and returned from Taurus??

stars

When I bought the standard Ultralight I called Taurus customer service with the same question. Their reply was that +Ps were OK for it.

Thanks to all who've replied! I'll post a range report after putting her through a trial run this weekend.

Shoot safe, stars

My Total Titanium and Stainless M85s have the correct barrel gap. I have never had ANY problems with either gun, and both have been to the range a number of times. I will say this, it has been my experience that these short barreled 38s need alot of pratice for the shooter to be really accurate with them. The more you pratice the better you get. Start out shooting the targets at close range too.

my2taurus85s.jpg

Lightsped,

HAHAHA. I've read about the "twins", and this world renowned photo of yours! Nice to see it for myself. :) I just thought it was "old folklore". Very sssswwwweet!

Now that I've seen the photo, I really wish I had bought the Titanium model. That gray finish just appeals to me.

I do plan on starting out practicing at close range. Probably seven yards, then maybe fifteen late on. I hope mine is as reliable as yours has turned out to be.

stars

I picked up a Taurus 85 a couple months ago as my new always gun. I opted for the standard model 85. Blued steel, ported barrel, rubber grips and no hammer spur. I like having the extra weight. I had the same question, so I called the Miami customer service number, the polite young woman on the phone assured me that ALL of the new Tauri are rated for +p ammo.

How true it is I would have no clue, but why would they lie?

SgtGunner,

When you called the Taurus Customer Service number, did you happen to ask why they only inscribe the "+P" on the Titanium models? Just curious.

stars

"I've also read a LOT of posts about the Taurus .38's having light strike problems. But, I like the feel of the gun, and it's light weight, so I figured I'd take my chances. I plan on taking it to the range this weekend and putting at least 100 rounds through it. How long did it take to get your gun repaired and returned from Taurus??

stars"

It took 2 or 3 weeks...

I've had several Taurus revolvers. Two (including the 85) required some work. Taurus turns them around faster then some of the other manufacturers. As two examples: friend's Springfield was gone 6 months...same guy's S&W was gone about the same length of time.
You'll really like that little 85...I doubt if you shoot it all that much compared to other guns...but you'll carry it a lot more then other guns.

I have also heard about lite strike problems in Taurus's. Mine has fired everythin reliably except Corbon. I was always told CCI Blazers had hard primers but mine fires them with no problems. The Corbon I had two rounds that had hard primers, but I have heard of hard primers in Corbons other calibers as well.

Ezeckial,

Thanks for the info. I would hate to have a problem with my new toy, but it's good to know that Taurus has gotten better with their warranty work.

I had a Taurus PT-100 semi-auto in .40 *&*. I bought it new, and after 100 rounds, the takedown latch broke off. (Sorry if that's the wrong use of terminology...I shoot 'em, I don't work on 'em....:) ) I called Taurus and asked for a new replacement part. It took over a month before I received one! Even after I sent them the broken part the day after I called. Go figure. :confused:

stars

Back