Is Something Wrong with My Colt LE6920?

I just bought this today, and have been pretty excited. Upon playing with the safety selector switch I noticed it drooping slightly while in the safe position (the safety was engaged as it should be).

There is slight play when the selector is in the safe position, and perhaps less so in the fire position.

The safety selector does click positively when flipped, and it seems to function like normal.

Here's a video to give you a better idea: https://sendvid.com/cayp6tc7

A possible explanation is that the little bump (can't think of a better word for it) above the safe position isn't very pronounced so the selector isn't stopped by anything when wiggled, but I'm not sure.

Is this an issue? Should I see about having this corrected? Or is this play normal? (My other AR does not do this)

I'm hoping I'm just being over scruntinizing over a new purchase. I've heard nothing but good things about the LE6920 and am otherwise impressed with the fit and finish of the rifle. I'm concerned, though, because I bought this rifle with the intention of using it as a home defense carbine and will require it to be up-to-par to trust my life to.

Last edited:
The pin and detent that prevent that wiggle is not visible with the selector switch in the receiver. You would have to remove the selector switch and clean out or improve the detent allowing the pin to set more fully.

As long as the safety is positively engaged I would not worry about it

I did take off the pistol grip and inspect the detent spring and everything appears in-spec.

Since the safety engages positively, I suspect I'm just over-scrutinizing.

Today I am taking the rifle back to the shop I bought it from to have the gunsmith tell me what he thinks about it and compare it to the other Colts there. Hopefully it'll turn out to be normal, though the slight bit of play in the safe position does annoy me a bit, what with Colt LE6920 supposed to be the gold standard and all...

what with Colt LE6920 supposed to be the gold standard and all...

I would not classify any Colt product in the past 25 years, the "gold standard" of anything....as this parts fitment shows:rolleyes:

Thats not too unusual. Military M4s do the same thing. Some manufacturer's make them a little tighter and others put an external bar in the form of receiver flash or flare to keep it from moving in the direction away from fire. A little movement is not unusual at all.

Colt is the military standard and makes a great functional rifle. There are better more expensive ones out there and there are cheaper not as good ones out there.

Back