is sizing required??

ted 40

Inactive
I Have 2 molds 200 grain 45acp,----- and 158grain 38/357.

Both are lee 6 cavity tumble lube dies.
45acps coming out of dies at .452
38/357 dopping at .358.

I sized the first batch of both. 38's to.357, and 45acp's to .451

The reason I ask, and am now confused-
38/357
a. I have purchased cast bullets on-line from a couple manufacturers, and when I checked the purchased ones ( 3 brands)they measure .358.

b. I bought the 357 sizing die based on input from lyman manual.

c. Lee info says neither 45acp or 38/357 have to be sized if they don't deform brass when loading, but not to shoot any that don't chamber.

d. the bullet "drawings" in lyman manual show dimmensions 38@.358, and 45acp@.452 if drawings are correct it would seem sizing is not needed.

e. The more I study this , the more confusing it gets. It would save a big step if sizing is really not required. My final thought is that one is revolver and one is semiauto, and the rules may be different between the two?

I will figure this out eventually , however today I don't understand it------

Lee says that sizing is generally not necessary with their tumble lube moulds.

I use their 2 hole 200 swc .452 mould. Mine normally drop at .452.

I also use the factory crimp die. This greatly helps iron out any feeding issues.

It is best to slug your cylinder and barrel for your 38/357 and barrel for your 45. My .357 measures .3575 so I use a .358, my 45 measures .4515 so I use a .452. You want to go larger the your barrel.
What I used to slug the barrel, were egg shaped fishing weights well oiled and a well oiled barrel and tapped down with a wooded dowel rod about the same dia. as the barrel.

sizing

Thanks everyone!
I especially like the idea of using sinkers to slug barrels I always wanted to slug my barrels but Thought I had to buy a kit to accomplish this, and never seemed to get around to it.

Just so happens I have lots of tackleboxes full of stuff. Its wintertime so its time to clean/ reorganize them anyway for next year ---bet I can find the right sinkers--

Probably time to slug all my guns--

Back