Is S&W Mod 58 properly a M&P?

Rusty S

I believe S&W referred to the fixed sight Mod 58 as the .41 Magnum Military and Police, and the card in the factory box so said.

A friend believes that only fixed sight K frames are properly called M&P's.

My reference literature is unavailable, I can't find the factory box, and the question is beginning to bug me. Anyone have an old Gun Digest or Shooter's Bible or other info?

Roy Jinks' History of Smith & Wesson uses the designation 'Model 58 .41 Magnum Military & Police'. Given that Jinks is the company historian, I'd say that is pretty definitive. ;)

Since S&W coined the term M&P, I guess it applies to whatever they say it does. But I see your friend's point; for years the M&P meant a .38 caliber, fixed sight medium frame revolver. It's hard to break old habits.

Jim

I agree, wasn't Military and Police the name of the 1899 frame ( now K frame ) w/ fixed sights thru a bunch of variations until S&W began numbering instead of naming?

But, I still remember ( I think ) the white instructions that came in the box reading "Military & Police".

"Model-.41 Mag cal., M&P,fixed sights,4 in. barrel, blue of nickel finish.Disc" from the Blue Book of Gun Values by S.P.Fjestad

Back