Is Plus P Ammo Okay In My Hi-Power?

Martowski

I keep hearing about people using 9mm Plus P ammo for self defense loads. Are these safe to use in my Hi-Power? I believe the owner's manual says they shouldn't be used, but is the MKIII frame and, in general, the rest of the gun strong enough for these loads? Will these loads harm my gun in any way? I just want to make sure I don't ruin a perfectly good Hi-Power by running "hot" ammo through it.

While were on the question, the CZ-75 can take the hotter ammo alright, can't it? Been thinking about getting a "BD" decocking model.

I regularly shoot the 9mm NATO load in my old (1940s vintage) Highpower. No problems and my Highpower seems to love it.

Hello. Yes, the HP can take the hotter loads though I do suspect that the CZ would outlast it in a torture test of thousands of Plus P ammo. The newer HPs are tougher than the older guns. I own both "old" ('70s vintage HPs) and new MkIIIs. I like 'em all, but favor the newer guns for several reasons.

I've shot mainly handloaded ammo in my HPs, old and new. A great deal of that is with 115 gr Sierra travelling at about 1250 ft/sec and a 124 gr XTP at about the same velocity. I've had utterly no parts breakage nor have I noticed any exceptional wear. However, I have routinely added Wolff 18.5lb conventional recoil springs and of late, a shok buff from Buffer Technology.

I do think that with the standard recoil spring, the hotter loads MIGHT harm some of the older HPs if you feed them a large, steady diet of them.

Others may've had other experiences in this vein and I don't
have any disagreement with those who shoot nothing but standard pressure loads in their HPs considering how "good" some of these standard velocity loads are. For me, I'll continue with what's worked for me, hotter handloads and Plus P for defense and varmint hunting.

Best.

Thanks for the reassurance. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't commiting a big error by shooting +P stuff in my prized Practical!

Back