Is my Winchester 67 WRF a Frankenstein?

I picked up this rifle about a year ago without ever hearing of the round WRF. One of those things I bought then figured out what it was. Either way, I have tried researching this rifle on and off since I have owned it. The wikipedia page on the Winchester 67 says the finger groove stock was discontinued in 1935 and the WRF wasn't introduced till 1938. In forums I have read information that has contradicted this with the WRF being available earlier. So I have no idea what to think. Any opinions on value would also be appreciated. I haven't seen one come up on gun broker and there are none in the completed listings.

Thank you, David.

1929officialpolice said:
The wikipedia page on the Winchester 67 says the finger groove stock was discontinued in 1935 and the WRF wasn't introduced till 1938.
The Houze and Henshaw books state 1938. I have reason to know. I wrote that part of the Wikipedia article. :D

It's certainly possible that the books are wrong or incomplete, but Wikipedia is supposed to follow published sources.

I have never personally seen a rifle such as yours, and I'm more of a dabbler in Winchester rimfires than many folks online, so I can't comment on the veracity of the online information.

22 WRF was introduced in the 1890 Winchester pump. Shortly before WWII it started falling by the wayside, although a couple of manufacturers continue to do a run sporadically. So in 1935 (or before) it was definitely a viable cartridge.

Blue book says the 67 was chambered in WRF starting in 35, and it appears have a value
of more than double a similar condition 22 LR chambered example.

BillM said:
Blue book says the 67 was chambered in WRF starting in 35, and it appears have a value of more than double a similar condition 22 LR chambered example.
Which BB edition is that?

Several years have elapsed since I wrote the Wikipedia article, and I was working from an outdated edition at the time. Perhaps it's time for an update. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM
Blue book says the 67 was chambered in WRF starting in 35, and it appears have a value of more than double a similar condition 22 LR chambered example.
Which BB edition is that?

Several years have elapsed since I wrote the Wikipedia article, and I was working from an outdated edition at the time. Perhaps it's time for an update.

Heck--It's time for me to update my Blue Book! Info taken from Edition 33, 2012, Pg 2159.

Back