Is my Sig damaged?

Seminole1986

Just took my 232 out to clean today and noticed that the little disk (excuse me for not knowing the correct term) that shields the rear of the firing pin and on which the hammer strikes appears different than I recall.

As best as I can describe, I remember it being completely round. Now it looks as if the right-hand 20% of it is missing. It's as if a perfectly vertical inscision was made and the right-hand part removed.

Am I just mistaken or should I have it fixed?

PS, the gun has fewer than 1,000 rounds through it.

You are mistaken. If I inderstand what you are describing, it's the same as mine. It's not a shield, it's the rear of the firing pin itself. Part of the SIG design.

Is the rear of the firing pin supposed to be diskshaped, i.e., completely circular? If that is the case, then I'm missing the righ-hand portion of mine.

I don't know the P232 that well, but most firing pins in such guns are not perfectly symmetrical, they're usually keyed. I doubt the firing pin suddenly lost part of it's material in the gun. :)

Seminole, No, it's not completely circular. What you're looking at is correct. Like johnwill said, it's keyed. It's what keeps the spring loaded pin from coming out the back of the slide. Look at the exploded diagram in the back of your manual. I'm not sure if it's detailed enough to show what the pin looks like as I don't have one nearby, but check it out.

Back