Is M18 Smoke grenade an NFA item?

The fuses are classified as HE requiring proper licenses and an NFA tax. The ruling occurredwithin the last few years.

A fuse that you can put into a training grenade ,that has been altered,which is now live.That's why the fuse is a destructive device.

^^^ Google is a friend:

"Seems" like the fuze is now considered an explosive, but not a DD. It's in the same class as a blasting cap (which is silly) but it is not a DD subject to the NFA.

Stick it into a practice grenade filled with BP and you have a DD.

Better throw it fast, the delay of the powder train is about one second.... :eek:

Willie

LRChops, I mean no disrespect and I hope none is taken, but when I see a post such as that, well the hairs on my neck stand up:eek:

When I used M-18 and F-18 Smoke Canisters for airshow work I recall that they used to cost about $40 each. Bought them in bulk to hang on skydivers and airplanes. Actually used to remove the percussion fuse and convert them to electrical ignition.

The M-18 and F-18's are/were made by Alliant Techsystems, think the same folks who own a bunch of the ammunition manufacturing. I can only guess that they sold off the excess of government contracts to us civilians. They have to ship motor freight due the the hazmat rules.

There are other commercial sources for smoke generators that do not include a percussion fuse and look less like movie grenades. You may not know that for instance plumbers use smoke to find leaks in some types of vent pipes.

Be safe,

Wes

Back