Is Loc-Tite a good idea?

Camguy

I remove the thread protector on my 9mm Jarvis Custom barrel before firing because it works loose quite easily, even if I'm just racking the slide to chamber a round. Would putting a little Loc-Tite (you know, the stuff you get at the hardware store to put on bolts so the nuts don't work loose) a) do enough good that I could leave the protector on while shooting, and b) would it work/be a good idea to help keep a threaded suppressor from working loose?

Cool. Thanks for the info. I was concerned it'd turn the threads into a gooey mess. Does it work well? No problems when the barrel heats up?

As another poster said, USE THE BLUE!!! I used the red on a few of my guns... and lets just say that the bases are... ehhh... permanent now.

Stupid me. Every gun that I buy from now on get sthe blue stuff.

It will leave goo on the threads. Clean with mineral spirits or Hoppe's. Enough heat may loosen it, but it will still stay tighter than without.

Parts that have red Loctite on them can be removed with heat but it's not a particularly easy task. It's the one to use if you want screws to remain in place 'permanently'.

Blue Loctite does a good job of holding screws in place but allows the screws to be removed if necessary. Use it to secure screws that you don't want to come loose but might need to remove at some time in the future.

As always, thanks for the info, folks. Your excellent cleaning tips got me wondering, though, can I use the blue LockTite with a can to keep it from unscrewing under fire, or is it a case of keeping the thread protector in place until I clean it off and screw the can on?

Back