Is Korean 9mm Pistol Good?

The Observer

In most of the pistol enthusiast since I am reading TFL posts, mostly talks German, Austrian, Italians and US made guns.

Are the Korean made like the DP51 worth buying or they are junks pistol. Also, many give appreciation to the Taurus, and Makarov which are made from Brazil and China Respectively, not to mention Russia where Makarov originates. If I look at the countries that made it, they are not as famous than German, Austrian and USA made.

Any good traits of the DP51? pls comment. I see this pistol that instead of its price going lower - it went up for the past years in my locality.

Thanks

Friend shoots a Daewoo for IPSC. Decent gun, accurate and reliable, but when a pin busted he COULD NOT GET PARTS (had a machinist buddy make one).

I have a DP-51, and it's a very reliable pistol. It's not as accurate as any of my other 9mm pistols, principally the Glocks and Hi-Power's, but it's plenty good for it's intended purpose. When I bought mine, they were less than $200 with a couple of 13 round magazines, so it was a pretty reasonably priced gun.

DP-51 is the standard sidearm of the South Korean military.

It is a relible and particularly ergonomic pistol. However, its accuracy is not top-notch ("combat accurate" or "good enough" some would say) and its durability is not superb (fast-action mechanism and aluminum frame are relatively delicate). The big problem is lack of parts as they are not imported anymore (to my knowledge).

While I wouldn't buy and drive Korean cars, I surely would love to get my hands on a K-1 or K-2 carbine/rifles (or even the DR200). Sure beats M-16/AR-15s! Too bad the Korean rifles aren't imported anymore. They are pretty sweet, well-engineered rifles with the best features of AR-15s, FN-FALs and AKs.

Skorzeny

Korean stuff

The Koreans know the importance of good quality control and I actually look for stuff made there. But regarding their DP-51 I played with one at a local shop several times and just couldn't get used to the tri-action trigger. I figured if I couldn't get used to it in the shop I'd be in trouble if I ever need it pronto.

I have a DP-51 and it is a nice pistol. The tri-action trigger is actually pretty sweet. After racking the slide to load a round, you just push forward on the hammer and it goes forward, just short of the firing pin. Then when you squeeze the trigger it only needs to move a short distance to fire. It is a safe and proven system. The Korean military and police have used them for many years.

They take Smith and Wesson model 59 hi capacity mags. I have 4 Mecgars and they function flawlessly.

The only problem I have with the DP51 is, now that I have my Sigs and Glocks, I really have no need for it, so it just sits in my safe unused, mostly because I moved up to .45's. If you are interested in one, e-mail me.

I had a DP51 when they were imported by Kimber of Oregon.

The gun was reliable, but it suffered from Gun Fungurs that even tough actin' Tinactin would have problems with!! :D That pistol oxidized faster then even my Paras! Even with meticulous care, it was marginally enough.

For a beater pistol it is a great purchase, but if you are looking for something with a little better durability, get it hard chromed/NP3ed or a different pistol.

Derek

I owned a DP51 until recently (I sold it). It digested every 9mm round I put through it, was reasonably accurate (I remember someone above talking about "Battle Accuracy" or something), and was very reliable and easy to clean. On an off-road motorcycle excursion here in Idaho one Summer day I had it stuffed into the back of my pants (Magnum PI style) because I didn't have a holster for it yet. A particularly savage "whoop-de-do" shook it loose and it fell into the dirt and dust. I felt it go so stopped and had to hunt around in the crud to find it. Once found, I quickly field stripped it, brushed it out, reassembled it, and test fired it. NO PROBLEM! Later when I got home I gave it a thorough cleaning.

I say I sold it. Actually I consigned it with a shooting range and after a couple of months of hearing nothing I went back into pick it up as I started to miss it. Someone had just purchased it and I felt a little remorse. ...so I went out with the check plus a little more cash and bought a Beretta 96FS. I feel better now!

Bruce Woodbury

Back