Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

Inactive
I have been debating on which one of these three 38's to get:
1.S&W 442 Airweight
2.Taurus 85 "Ultra-lite"
3.S&W 342 "titanium"
My questions are: Are the 2 titanium guns mentioned worth the extra cost?Will the S&W Airweight 442 hold up to alot of shooting?Will the titanium guns have more recoil than the 442?Which one would you pick for a CCW piece?

It seems to me the S&W 442 might be the best choice here.It is still very light at 15 oz. It is cheaper.I saw the blued 442 and it looked SWEET!! Watcha think??
Any opinions are appreciated!!

Thanks,

Bobby

I have an M38 Ultralite. Both my friend and I bought ours about two years ago. We are both starting to have problems with our guns. Mine did it very rarely after about 300 rounds and has increased. His started after about 800 rounds. The cylinder is coming partially open after firing - just enough to jam the gun. We are both going to send the pistols to Taurus, they have a lifetime warrantee.

As of right now, I can't recommend the Taurus. I wish I had spent more money and got the S&W.

I have held the Ti guns, but not fired them. I have to think the recoil would be pretty punishing to us mere mortals <Grin>. I think the Airweight is a good choice. If the Taurus comes back fixed, it is a pretty good gun also <sarcastic grin>.

I had the chance to fire one of the Ti S&W guns at the range a month or so ago when they first came out.

It belonged to a friend's father , and I really can't remember the exact model.

I shot it five times and that was plenty enough for me. I can't see anyone finding that gun enjoyable to shoot.

If it was me, I'd rather tote the extra wieght of the regular models just for the reduced recoil.

BTW, for sure eye apeal and bragging rights, the little gun can't be beat.

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

I own a pre +P rated 442. No fun to shoot (the titaniums have got to be worse) but it's a fine CCW. I wouldn't plan to put thousands of rounds through it and sure as hell wouldn't fire a lot of +P through a new +P rated one regardless.

I carry regular pressure HydraShocks in mine. These guns are meant to be carried more than shot.

I vote S&W. I have a 642, and at 16oz it's not much "fun" to shoot,but totes easily. I doubt that taking off 5 oz. would make it any easier (I think that's the difference between the alum and Ti frames)to carry, only harder to shoot and harder to buy. A good holster for your ankle and an Uncle Mike's pocket holster and you are at least following Rule #1 all the time.

------------------

I would love a 342, but it has worried me hearing these stories about them and these are not the first. I have been discouraged to say the least. I went with a 38, now a 638 would be my pick. Limited to your choices, the 442.

S&W Airweight Centennial all the way.

The titanium S&W would also be good. Forget the Taurus.

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

I have both the Taurus model 85 UL TI and the Taurus ti 44 special. Both are pleasant to shoot, even with CORBON ammo, and have had no problems.

THe S&W will have significantly more recoil because it is not ported, and it is in my opinion overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back