Is it worth the 5oz. difference?

RH Factor

I've been looking at all the threads on .38 snub noses. I want one for carry. (Please I have a auto, I'd like to get a wheelgun) I decided I do want a hammer (may get it bobbed later) BUT the deal is ...What about the weight difference. So many speak well of Rugers SP-101....price is good like getting the .357 so I can shoot both..BUT 25 ounces....a smith centennial at 20 ounces..or a titanium smith or tarus at 11-15 ounces. Will I lose that much control going super light and many talk about nasty recoil.....BUT if I go to the heavier ruger will I get tired of carrying it because of the weight. I have a SIG239 and it often doesn't get carried because of the weight, so I end up with my NAA Guardian 32. I realize many of you carry 1911's and such all the time, BUT weight is a factor for me. Is the 5 to 10 ounce difference enough for me to tell...any suggestions.

Personally, I find that the added weight of the SP-101 is an important part of controlling the 125gr .357 magnum round. If I went with a lighter gun I would probably drop down to 38Spcl or .38 +p ammo. My SP-101 .357 has the 3 & 1/16" barrell and I don't find it uncomfortable to carry. In fact, in the right holster and with a sturdy, high quality belt designed with carry in mind, I believe it may be the perfect CCW revolver in .357 magnum.

I believe that your choice of belt/holster combo will make a bigger difference in your ability to comfortably carry the SP than 5 oz. of extra weight. You might have to go through several rigs before finding the right one for you, but once you do, I don't think you'll find a better compact .357 for carry than the SP-101.

R6

Personally, I am planning on my next firearm purchase to be a snubbie 357 for defense reasons rather than plinking. I am not the least bit concerned about recoil. My targeted purchase will be a 16 ounce aluminum/titanium Taurus 617. It holds 7 rounds of 357 Magnum. I am more concerned with the feeling of a heavy gun in my pocket all day than I am with some increased recoil. I say go with what you will feel comfortable carrying everywhere.

If you want hammer you prolly are not going to do pocket carry? My take is every ounce makes a difference. The steel frame Smith is different than the aluminum frame which is different than the titanium. I can live with any J frame but prefer the centennial hammerless. Size also makes a difference. The 357 Model 640 is not as easy to carry as the 342, 642 or 940 9mm. Just a little more bbl and grip makes a lot of difference in my pocket. YMMV:cool:

Weight is a big difference to me. My SW342PD weighs 14 ounces loaded and wearing a Barami Hip-Grip. I carry it tucked in underwear on the right side of my genitals now that it's t-shirt and shorts weather. When I carried the heavier SW642LS, I found it a little too heavy to do this. I carried tucked into both my underwear and shorts. It was sufficient, but my t-shirt had to be a certain length. And there was no reaching up high to get something off a shelf.

That's more than I needed to know, Cuerno!

I've recently stopped carrying the 25 oz. SP-101 in .357 mag. in favor of a c. 21 oz. S&W 940 in 9x19. Carry mode is DeSantis pocket holster in front pocket.

I have found that the lighter weight of the S&W is noticeably helpful in my mode of carry. It's also a smaller gun, physically, which is helpful as well.

But if I were going to get a .357, I'd stick with the SP-101. I don't think you could wear one out, even with a steady diet of magnum rounds. They're truly fine revolvers.

I think it's worth having a .357 as opposed to a .38 - you do get more oomph, even with the shorter bbl. But if you want to really get let the magnum hit its stride, you'll need at least a 4" bbl.

I don't have much experience with the lightweights, but I can tell virtually no shootability difference between my steel S&W Model 49 at 20 oz., and my S&W Model 640-1 at 25 oz. using +P 158 gr. LHPs in each.

Back